Collapse (2009) by Mike Ruppert

by Mincan 33 Replies latest social current

• Mincan
  • JAFO
    JAFO

Thank you.. I've been hanging to see this for weeks.. ever since it was released in Canada. No idea how long we'll be waiting for it here in Aust..

• Satanus
    Satanus

Wow, close to 900 seeders on that.

S

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Roger Ebert gives the film four stars.

If this man is correct, then you may be reading the most important story in today's paper.

I have no way of assuring you that the bleak version of the future outlined by Michael Ruppert in Chris Smith's "Collapse" is accurate. I can only tell you I have a pretty good built-in B.S. detector, and its needle never bounced off zero while I watched this film. There is controversy over Ruppert, and he has many critics. But one simple fact at the center of his argument is obviously true, and it terrifies me.

That fact: We have passed the peak of global oil resources. There are only so many known oil reserves. We have used up more than half of them. Remaining reserves are growing smaller, and the demand is growing larger. It took about a century to use up the first half. That usage was much accelerated in the most recent 50 years. Now the oil demands of giant economies like India and China are exploding. They represent more than half the global population, and until recent decades had small energy consumption.

. . .

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091209/REVIEWS/912099993

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Thanks for sharing...a little over an hour and time well spent. Would otherwise never have heard of it.

• VIII
    VIII

Better get your cars running on vegetable oil; used of course.

A good friend works in used vegetable oil and business has never been better. Heck with the Prius. Go Crisco.

• villabolo
    villabolo

VIII:

Better get your cars running on vegetable oil; used of course.

A good friend works in used vegetable oil and business has never been better. Heck with the Prius. Go Crisco.

It is not a good idea to switch even a small number of cars to vegetable oils, or alcohol. One reason is that there is not enough land to grow enough vegetables or grain to supply the needs of even half of the vehicles we use. Furthermore, even if we did have the land to grown it, it would create a huge surge in the use of artificial fertilizer which is made from natural gas. You would simply be switching from one petrochemical to another. Furthermore, the added step in the processing would make the entire process more inefficient than if you had used the natural gas itself as a fuel.

And don't forget the Prius whose non electric engine could be easily designed to be run on any fuel.

The problem with all these solutions is that they don't solve the real problems. The real problem is that we are transporting 100 lbs of human with 3,000 lbs of vehicle. We could make four wheel electric bicycles with the ability to carry 2-4 persons at 25 mph (or more but that is the highest safe speed). Furthermore, plug in Prius that are just coming out, allow you to drive a few dozen miles without any fuel usage-a sort of limited electrive drive-before the fuel engine kicks in. If you drive no more than 20 or so miles per day you would not even have to use any fuel whatsoever.

villabolo

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

thanks for posting.

purps

• bohm
    bohm

Just so everybody are aware of it - Mike Rupert is a pretty controversial guy, for example he believe the american government was involved in 9/11, and he has a way of quoting sources in a way that strictly speaking is correct, but which give a misleading impression in the listener.

That being said - I believe peak oil/resources is a potential bomb under our way of living and i look forward to seing the movie, i just wish it was a professor in economics or something who had made the presentation :-).

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I have his Crossing the Rubicon.

And yeah, Bohm is right. Take anything from Mike Ruppert with a grain of salt. I used to visit his site frequently in 2004/2005. He was predicting that 2006 was the year of the collapse. It wasn't.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit