Children JW Rejection Statistics

by AggieNostic 19 Replies latest jw friends

• AggieNostic
    AggieNostic

I am wondering if my family is similar to yours... I have 2 sisters and 1 brother. My older sister and I were 5 and 7 years old when my parents joined. My other sister and brother were "born in". But pretty much you can say we were all raised in the "truth"...

My 2 sisters are both DF'd. I am in Fadeland - neither DF nor DA, but viewed by the hundreds in this circuit as such... So only my brother is still in.

So, we have a 75% rejection rate - also note our ages are 32 - 45.

How does this compare with your sibling rejection rate? Could this be a trend as the JW generation that were born in the 60s/70s see their children start to become teenagers/young adults and realize this religion does not make sense?

• parakeet
    parakeet

I have four other sibs. Three (plus me) have left; one remains. We all left in our early to mid-twenties.

Growing up had everything to do with our leaving. You don't question your parents' beliefs when you're nine.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

5 of us, two girls 3 boys. None in. I was last out.

3 of us went thru the seventies as teens, two born in the late 70s faded. I was the only who left while still believing i think.

thats 100%!

Oz

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

5 of us boys 44-58

#1 Out DA'd

#2 Faded once for many years now goes back only to keep wife happy (I believe)

#3 Elder takes it to seriously always has

#4 Never fully believed, faded, not been back 7 years & not going to. That's me..will DA soon

#5 Always been in, but only out of habit, very weak.

So thats

2/5 out completely

2/5 I believe could drop it if they were shown the real story.

1/5 in it realy strong, he has wife with dibilitating illness & looking forward to new order, probably will never accept the real truth.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Aussie Oz

I like that 100% I wish I could say the same, my relationhip with my family would be so different

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My parents only had the one. Broken condom. Armageddon was really close. Mum must have been wetting her pants.

That makes 100% for their family.

My family has one in and one drifted semi-believer, too clever to go back in, too stupid to get right out. At this stage it is 50%.

Cheers

Chris

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

Statistics like these really bum me out, because I seem to come from an atypical family. I never really believed that Pew survey (until I found ex-JW boards) saying they had about a 1/3 retention rate, because I see so many stay.

I'm the only one that left of my siblings, so 33.3%. I'm the only one of the five grandchildren on my mother's side to leave, so 20% there. There's 2 of us out of 12 grandchildren on my father's side that left, so 17% there. And out of everyone I grew up with in the congregation, I know for a fact that about 90% of them are still in, and it isn't that the other 10% are definitely out, I just can't tell you for a fact if they're in or out. The only 2 I knew who left were both teenagers when their moms started studying, the dads never came, and they were never baptized, so I don't think you can really count them as JW's. I'm talking about people mostly aged in their mid-30's.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

There's 5 of us, 3 girls and 2 boys, 35-43 years old:

#1 - currently DF'ed (That's me.......)

#2 - didn't take it seriously til he was in his 20's, now an elder

#3 - was df'ed, now reinstated. She should've been df'ed about 4 or 5 times, tho......currently barely in.

#4 - Super ambitious in the Org. Made an elder at a young age, went to his head and he hasn't had anything to do with the rest of us for about 10 years.

#5 - was df'ed, now reinstated but is about 8 years into a successful fade.....

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I have heard that about 60% of those raised as JWs end up leaving.

I'm looking for a reference to a reputable study that produced this number.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

Me - fading (32 years old)

Brother - DF'd (26 years old)

Sister - dont attend but still believes (30 years old)

elder-schmelder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit