Salvation Army - JW's don't donate, but would they accept help

by Bonnie_Clyde 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I just did a quick search on the WT CD and confirmed that that Jehovah doesn't approve the Salvation Army. But would a JW accept help from them just like they will accept help from the Red Cross?

BTW, Clyde has been asked to do a little bell ringing. He says he has to find a way to decline gracefully as too many JW's in the area still know him and would turn him in. We are not ready to have our names read at the KH.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They would justify help from the Salvation Army as "using this system of things" or some BS.

• villabolo
    villabolo

I know of a JW woman in my neighborhood who goes to a nearby Catholic church to accept food donations.

villabolo

• Mary
    Mary

When I was a kid, we were very poor. My parents had taken my sister to New York City for an operation (she had a brain tumour) and OHIP only covered 80% of the cost at the time. My dad was left with a $13,000 bill----quite a chunk of money back then and he worked 7 days a week practically to support his family and pay off those bills.

Anyway, our family's plight was common knowledge around town and one kind businessman spearheaded a fundraising for us. The town was most generous and raised over $4,000 for us. Funny---we were Witnesses at the time but I do not recall anyone at the Hall ever helping us out. I do however, recall the elders visiting with our parents to tell my dad he was "missing too many meetings" by all the hours he was working and urged him to "get another job". My father basically told them to get stuffed and piss off. He had no choice but to work extra hours as he owed alot of money. Not that that makes any difference in this religion.

One Christmas, there was knock at the door. It was two representatives from the local Salvation Army. They had gifts for us kids AND for mom and dad. I remember there was a huge fruit basket and after they left, dad took a picture of us with it. We were thrilled beyond belief at the presents and every year after that, I resented being a Witness with no presents, no Christmas carolling, no decorating a Christmas tree, no drawing Christmas scenes at school, no bell ringing------nothing.

I know mom and dad were so appreciative that the Salvation Army did that for us and none of us ever forgot it. So I always make an effort to give to them (usually when I'm going past them into the liquor store) as I know they do alot of good.

What a shame that the WTS doesn't show the same Christian spirit.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    too many JW's in the area still know him and would turn him in

So, if Clyde donates a little time to helping the poor and needy, he must fear that conregation elders will find out about it? His name should be read from the platform as a good example, not a reproof. This is something that deserves to be seen on "60 minutes" this evening, the world should see this hypocrisy in action.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    This is something that deserves to be seen on "60 minutes" this evening, the world should see this hypocrisy in action.

Agreed.

What a shame that the WTS doesn't show the same Christian spirit.

Much is said about the sheep and the goats in the Kingdom Halls, when you examine the actual passages in the text, it reads as follows:

The Sheep and the Goats
    31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

• garyneal
    garyneal

And the Jehovah's Witnesses who don't practice Christian charity?

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44 "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45 "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

• garyneal
    garyneal

Now I cannot judge the witnesses but I do wonder if they get this?

I've asked my wife on multiple occasions, "So, do you (collectively) go out and feed the hungry or help with homeless shelters?" Her answer, "We do not make a show of it like churches do, but we do feed them spiritually and shelter them spiritually. Jehovah God provides for is it not written, '"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33'"

Then I said, "For believers yes, but how do you think this happens? Does not the Bible also say, '15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?' James 2:15-16."

Considering that her favorite verse she likes to use against me (...faith without works is dead) is in this same chapter, one would think that witnesses, of all people, would understand the significance of this. Instead that use the overquoted verse to stress the importance of FS and meeting attendance.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Yes - THAT IS SOO RIGHT!

The Witchtower applies these "brothers " in the verse as the annointed.

(HA - not that the annointed have ever done anything personally for anybody other than to ask for ca$h)

It is clear to me that Jesus means the poor and needy - this was taught by the apostle paul.

But - hey! - who is he?

HB

• crapola
    crapola

Of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit