January 2009 Awake - Where is the quote source listed?

by AdaMakawee 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I just took my dog out for a walk and found an Awake laying on the ground, all wet where someone threw it. So I picked it up because I thought it would be worth a few laughs. I'm absolutely stunned by the amount of statements they make, statitstics they quote without naming a source. There are a few named sources, but they don't tell you the particulars. They'll say it came from Scientific American but not which issue, article, etc. Virtually EVERYWHERE it is considered the rule that if you quote someone you have a table where you list the exact location.

How can anyone take these people serious? There is only ONE reason not to name your sources and everyone knows it!

I've been out almost 20 years and haven't picked one of these up in almost the same amount of time except to throw it straight in the trash. It didn't use to be this bad.

Ada

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Example - (this is bold under the article heading): "Each year about two million people die as a result of poor sanitation and contaminated water, and 90 percent of the victims are children."

Where does that statistic come from?

• designs
    designs

Its just fluff to keep everyone busy, consider it Reader's Digest light.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I'm just astonished. No reputable journal would ever do this.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I just realized the path I'm going down next time I get the knock at my door. Please come back with a complete bibliography so that I can properly study your magazine.

Ha see if that's even possible, I suspect they would have absolutely no way of doing that. If they contact Brooklyn they would not be forthcoming. The next question then is, why would they hide their sources?

Ada

• wobble
    wobble

I think sometimes they just make them up. But when they use a proper one, they dare not quote their source because most of the time they are dis-honestly quoting out of context.

In the old Trinity brochure they had the gall to quote a piece, and give the source, as though it supported their case, when in reality if you read the whole quote ,only a few more lines than they used, it is plain it supports the trinity.

There have been other threads on here showing them doing this many times, LIARS.

love

Wobble

• VM44
    VM44

No sources are required becaue it is PROPAGANDA!

The Awake and Watcthower only want to influence and control people's thinking by making un-sourced statements!

People will only remember the "facts" presented in the magazines, but not where these "facts" came from!

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

AdaMakawee : Where were the quote sources about the brothers and sisters in Uganda who travel 10 miles without shoes thru mountains and alligator infested waters to go to their meetings while we have the comforts of cars and air conditioning?

That was their way of telling us that we were all slackers!

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

ADAMAKAWEE; good catch and it in most all wt mag's. and i use just this to make jw liars... a jw will give me a new mag and I ask have you tested everything in this mag to prove it's contents is truth? In most cases the jw will say they have read and know it to be truth.. then I pull out such a line in the mag that the L.A. TIMES ,NATIONAL GROGRAPH, DR SHITH ,PASTOR RUSSELL SAID IN A 1921 WT. SO AND SO. then i ask the jw did you look up that l.a. times article? or that 1921 wt? they will say no then I ask them "you just told me you tested everything in this mag"? so your a liar and a false witness in the name of jehovah, you know the bible say prove all thing true... I can take this on for hours and embarrass the jw's again great observation.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Each year about two million people die as a result of poor sanitation and contaminated water, and 90 percent of the victims are children."

Is the Watchtower going to try to do something about this disaster? Of course not, Watchtower Bible & Tract Society just uses the bad news to further their cause and book publishing company. Those "worldly" Christian churches at least actually do charitable works for poor children from 3rd world countries.

In all seriousness, this quote is likely true but it is aimed at 3rd world countries, not the United States.
    http://www.globalhealth.org/child_health/child_mortality/causes_death/

But, what these statistics are not telling you is that poverty is going down. China's population is rising out of poverty. That's huge!
    http://www.globalissues.org/article/4/poverty-around-the-world

While this at least sounds encouraging, it masks regional variations, and perhaps most glaringly the impact of China:

• China’s poverty rate fell from 85% to 15.9%, or by over 600 million people
    • China accounts for nearly all the world’s reduction in poverty
    • Excluding China, poverty fell only by around 10%

As a result, the World Bank feels that while China is on target to reach the Millennium Development Goals to reduce poverty and tackle various other issues, most other countries are not.

Here are the World Bank’s new estimates of poverty at different poverty levels:

Different poverty levels

Poverty lines shown here include $1 a day, $1.25 a day, $1.45 a day, $2 a day (typical for many developing countries), $2.50 a day (which includes a poverty level for some additional countries), and $10 a day, which a World Bank report referred to if looking at poverty from the level of a wealthy country, such as the US.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit