WT 11/1/2009 Public Edition: Do you need to learn Hebrew or Greek?

by truthseeker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• teel
    teel

From CoC:

Other members of that committee [besides Fred Franz] were Nathan Knorr, Albert Schroeder and George Gangas. Fred Franz, however, was the only one with sufficient knowledge of the Bible languages to attempt translation of this kind. He had studied Greek for two years at the University of Cincinnati but was only self-taught in Hebrew.

When he was in Romania, Ray Franz was asked whether he thinks his uncle was competent enough to do the translation. He said that Fred had very good language skills, even if self-taught he mastered the language very well, and he thinks that even using the NWT one can get to an understanding of the principle teachings of Jesus.

Here's a youtube video (skip to about 6:40):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2AT5u1pDwE

and continued here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YEQ2GQVkw

• Watkins
    Watkins

They never should've published their Kingdom Interlinear NT Bible then - it shows up their subtle and not-so-subtle twists. I'm glad I had one - it helped me see just how twisted their exegesis had become.

• acolytes
    acolytes

Teel

Hi ..Iam from the UK-I now live in Sweden-When I was pretentiouse enough to think I spoke fluent Swedish I lost a lot of money not understanding the business Swedish language.(Law)

Any person who thinks that they are self-taught in Hebrew or Greek and attempts to translate the bible from the origional Greek or Hebrew is deluded.

I cant even contemplate how a person can write a paragraph and assume the reader will get the full gist of what he tried to communicate.

Acolytes.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Fred was schooled for only two years in classical Greek. What is the difference between classical and Biblical Greek? Is it that Biblical Greek was older and so had differences in it from classical? Just wondering. Hmm...self taught ancient Hebrew and well enough at that to translate the friggin Bible?! I don't think so. He was a college drop out, so that hurts his credibility some.

I learned English and took it in college. That means I can translate exactly what Shakespere wrote in Middle English (if that's what it is). NOT! Old English is not even close to the English we speak now. Fred got one over on 7 million people.

• VM44
    VM44

I wonder if the writer of the WT article knows either Hebrew or Greek?

• free2think
    free2think

its always good to keep learning

• TD
    TD
    Is it that Biblical Greek was older and so had differences in it from classical?

Other way around. Koine was an outgrowth of Attic. There are a lot of minor differences, mostly revolving around Koine being simpler and less stilted. They are often taught side by side today.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I think the biggest reason they say this that they want them to use their time in The Ministry, preparing for the meetings and studying WT publications (and reading the NWT)

it is like 'don't think, just trust us to feed you'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit