WT 11/1/2009 Public Edition: EXPOSED: Six Myths About Christianity

by truthseeker 12 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It never fails to amaze me how hypocritical the Watchtower is.

The November 1, 2009 Watchtower's title is "EXPOSED: Six Myths About Christianity"

Myth 1: The soul is immortal

Myth 2: The wicked suffer in hell

Myth 3: All good people go to heaven

Myth 4: God is a trinity

Myth 5: Mary is the mother of God

Myth 6: God approves of the use of images and icons in worship

In a box below the WT says the following:

REJECT MYTHS, STICK TO THE TRUTH

What can we conclude from this brief review of myths that are still taught by many churches? These "tales artfully spun" cannot rival the simple and comforting truths of the Bible. Therefore, with an OPEN MIND, do not hesitate to compare God's Word - the source of truth - what you have been taught. Then, this promise will prove true in your case, "You will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

These are the myths the Watchtower use frequently, so lets have a look at some WT myths about Christianity...

Myth 1: Charles Taze Russell said the end would come in 1914

Myth 2: Jehovah and Jesus selected the Watchtower organization in 1919 while the Bible students still celebrated Xmas and birthdays

Myth 3: The Watchtower alluded to and participated in the expectation that the end would come in 1975 some 6,000 years after man's creation.

Myth 4: The Awake! masthead prior to 1995 said it was the "Creator's PROMISE of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away"

Myth 5: The Watchtower taught that the final selection for the 144,000 ended in 1935 - now anyone of any age professing the heavenly calling can partake

Myth 6: The Watchtower has changed the interpretation of Jesus' reference to "the generation" at least four times

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Myth 1: The soul is immortal..Jehovah`s Witness`s will live forever..

Myth 2: The wicked suffer in hell..The WBT$ will run earth after Armageddon..

Myth 3: All good people go to heaven..Everyone dies except Jehovah`s Witness`s

Myth 4: God is a trinity..The WBT$,is the FDS..

Myth 5: Mary is the mother of God..The WBT$ is the Mediator for True Christians..

Myth 6: God approves of the use of images and icons in worship..God approves of Jewelery with the WBT$ "LogoTower"(Icon) on it..

..............................OUTLAW

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Nice one Outlaw!

• I quit!
    I quit!

More myths:

1: Jesus came back in 1914.

2: Jesus put the Watchtower in charge of all his worldly affairs

3:Judge Rutherford was a drunken curmugeon.

4: The world would end in 1975.

Scratch number 3, turns out it's true.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Therefore, with an OPEN MIND, do not hesitate to compare God's Word - the source of truth - what you have been taught. Then, this promise will prove true in your case, "You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.""

I think I can agree with that statement. Comparing God's Word with what I had been taught led me to completely reject JWs version of "the truth". Careful study of the Bible with an open mind led me to conclude that it is not the word of god or "source of truth".

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Therefore, with an OPEN MIND, do not hesitate to compare God's Word - the source of truth - what you have been taught. Then, this promise will prove true in your case, "You will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

I do that, every week, when those dub men come to study with me. It has proven to be true as WT teachings often fall short of that test and it has kept me free of the WT snare while confounding those men with questions they can not answer.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Myth 1: The soul is immortal - The soul can die, that is true,perhaps the correct way of syaing is that a faithful soul is immortal.

Myth 2: The wicked suffer in hell - Interpretive, one man's hell and all that.

Myth 3: All good people go to heaven - God, through Jesus, will decide who goes where.

Myth 4: God is a trinity - One of the many wasy we can view the relationship between God, Jesus and the HS.

Myth 5: Mary is the mother of God - Hard to argue that, Mary is the mother of the son of God.

Myth 6: God approves of the use of images and icons in worship - As long as one is NOT worshiping the images and icons, I don't see God having issues with symbols since he uses them all the time.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

This is just a left over sermon from the days when JWs just liked to bash Catholicism. Probably a move to appeal to dissafected Hispanics.

• juci32
    juci32

The crazy thing is depending on which translation and how you read it, all those things can be proven in the Bible. Whether which is true or not, you can pretty much find a scripture to support all the "myths"

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Juci32,

That is bacuse they are doctrines based on interpretations, not "scriptural".

Except for the Mary mother of God thing, I have no idea where they got that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit