did you go on the ministry in bad weather?

by highdose 23 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Granny, I think your husband wanted to be a jw based on his thoughts of you and not the organization.

• blondie
    blondie

Rain...make return visits or bible studies

Cold...do apartment buildings inside or rural territory from the car

Really hot....only go out for a short time early in am before it got hot...(Florida good sense)

No insanity here........

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I did, occasionally. The few who still wanted to do territory pat themselves on the back for going out in the rain. San Diegans are wimps--if it rains, we can't drive and we'd rather stay inside.

I regret each and every rain-soaked field slavery day, even if it were just riding around and doing calls.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I recall a circuit overseer and his wife's visit. A group of the zealous met up for service in the morning and it was raining, I was going out in the after noon and showed up to find I was the only one and it was pouring down rain and the circuit overseer and his wife were going to the families house they were staying with to rest the afternoon. No eagerness to go do return visits in the cold pouring rain. It was an enlightening moment when I realize that the circuit overseers were not as insane as I was to go out in the bad weather.

I never went out in bad weather the 20 some remaining years I was a JW.

Ruth

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Good on you Grace. I know one or two men who don't want their wives to now how to drive; I get the distinct impression that it's a control thing.

• sacolton
    sacolton

No, I drew the line at bad weather. I recall one day that it was raining and they were still planning to go out in service. I approached my Book Study Conductor and told him that I couldn't go out because I wore hearing aids ... and rain and electronics don't mix well. He just looked at me and said, "Well, at least you have an excuse." That really made me mad! I think that was the day I stopped looking up to elders.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I like to meet for service in bad weather, then go on calls by myself. I always try to make the point that it reflects badly on Jehovah to go door-to-door when the weather is inclement. My comments probably haven't stopped anyone from making a fool of themselves (and all JWs) in the door to door work but I hope it's planted a few seeds of rationality in some folks.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Really hot....only go out for a short time early in am before it got hot

BUT Blondie no knocking on doors before 9.00a.m., So I stood outside the subway
    in the Hot,cold,snowy,rainy weather holding up the AWAKE & THE WATCHTOWER!!
    Talk about NUTS!!!!!!I was the really big one....

Thanks Mickey!!!!Yes Control it is ,Men love Power...Women are now copying how to do it

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have been out in snow, and the biggest problem was finding a parking space. Which I always thought was pretty lowdown--hogging road space to park when it is already reduced for snow, just to spread a message that would have been easier to spread by radio.

And, I have heard all too often that a test of your loyalty to Jehovah would be if it is close to zero or below, it is the end of the month, you have gone out every Saturday, and now it is Saturday again. Will you go out and be faithful, or will you stay in because you don't feel like freezing (or because you want to get other things done instead of waiting for some "non-service" time that never comes)? Anyone that uses bad weather like a blizzard or bitter cold to catch up on other things is "unfaithful".

• Emily24
    Emily24

I remember going out and it was so cold that I tried to spit and the spit froze before it hit the ground. But it's all good, the elder that I went out with had me over after service to watch football. I had a belly ache and rushed to the toilet. Massive poop attack right?... I'm pretty sure they had to move out of their place after that!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit