"A Day for a Year": I Need a Beer

by Farkel 22 Replies latest jw friends

• aChristian
    aChristian

Fark,

As you know, the idea that the "times" of Daniel 4 should be understood as "prophetic years" containing 360 days each is based solely on the belief that the Bible itself equates the "1260 days" spoken of in Rev. 12:6 with the "3 1/2 times" spoken of in Rev. 12:14. But this is not necessarily so. For some interpretations of Rev. 12 say that the "1260 days" and the "3 1/2 times" spoken of therein refer to two different periods of time with different lengths. Thus it is only an assumption, and quite possibly a wrong one, that the concept of a 360 day "prophetic year" even exists in the Bible.

• Patriot
    Patriot

Happy new Year Farkel!

Thanks for the walk through, it really is quite amazing how the WT puts 2 and 2 together. Geez.

But it reminds me of one of the last meetings that I attended, the WT study included an article that explained how "Babylon the Great" NOT only fell in the ancient times, but how it fell Again in 1919 when the WT heads were released and denounced false religion.( basically by preaching the falsities of secular religion Babylon fell....ah,ok)

But as if that were not enough we can look foward to the ULTIMATE fulfillment when all religion will be destroyed in the bright future ahead of us after the great tribulation.

To think that I fell for that...damn Farkel pass the 40....

Mav.-

• Farkel
    Farkel

aChristian,

: the belief that the Bible itself equates the "1260 days" spoken of in Rev. 12:6 with the "3 1/2 times" spoken of in Rev. 12:14. But this is not necessarily so. For some interpretations of Rev. 12 say that the "1260 days" and the "3 1/2 times" spoken of therein refer to two different periods of time with different lengths.

You reminded me of yet another fatal inconsistency in WT reasoning. In Daniel 4, the WTS says "times" means "years" of 360 day/years. But the society's exegesis (or rather "expectorations") of Rev. 12 abandons that notion. If the society were to be consistent, the 3 1/2 times or 1,260 days in Revelation would be a period of 1,260 YEARS. But NO! They apply those days to the society's petty little bullshit happenings surrounding the period between October 1914 and April 1918, when Satan's power was finally "broken" and he was "cast down" from heaven. Don't you just love those invisible fulfillments of prophecy!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Woe to you scabs and pharasites (sic)! Dip-O-Shits!"

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• battman
    battman

Farkel,

WOW, what a superb piece of research
    and writing.

2 + dos = fo

cheers,

battman

of the "bought that shit" class

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

That explanation of the 365 day year makes a person's eyes glaze over
    after a few sentences. I'm sure it is written for the sole purpose of getting
    readers to throw up their hands and say, "I'm sure glad that SOMEONE
    understands it, because I don't".

By the way, that was a good point about the 1260 days. If the 2520 days
    are obviously symbolic of years, then why aren't the 1260 days also
    symbolic of years? Actually, in the old days, they did think that the 1260
    days represented years.

For anyone interested, here is a summary of the Society's explanation
    of the 1260 days:

1881: (From 538 AD to 1798 AD):
    The 1260 days represent 1260 years and cover the period of power of the
    papacy from 538 to 1798AD. (W 1881 Dec p7)

1890: (From 539 AD to 1799 AD):
    Changed to 539-1799AD (W 1889 Jan/Feb p4; Studies in the Scriptures III
    - Thy Kingdom Come (1890), p58,63,64)

1930: (From Nov 7, 1914 to May 7, 1918):
    1260 days are now literal days, from a Watchtower issue of Nov 7 1914 to
    May 7, 1918 when the order to arrest the Watchtower Society president was
    issued. (Light I, p 199; Your Will be Done on Earth p181,331)

1969: (From Oct 4/5, 1914 to Mar 26/7, 1918):
    Still literal days, but they now begin on Oct 4/5 of 1914 and end at the
    memorial of march 26/27, 1918. (Then is Finished the Mystery of God,
    p261-263)

1977: (From Dec 28, 1914 to Jun 21, 1918):
    Another change to the period from Dec 28, 1914 to June 21, 1918.
    (Our Incoming World Government, p127-33)

1988: (From Oct 4/5, 1914 to Mar 26/7, 1918):
    Goes back to 1969 understanding. (Revelation - It's Great Climax
    is at Hand!, p164)

1993: (From Dec 28, 1914 to Jun 21, 1918):
    Goes back to 1977 understanding. (W 93 11/1, p9,10)

• Faithful2Jah
    Faithful2Jah

Farkle:

You wrote: If the society were to be consistent, the 3 1/2 times or 1,260 days in Revelation would be a period of 1,260 YEARS.

Right you are. In fact, it seems to me that at one time in the Society's history they did just that. Starting those 1260 years with the fall of the Ottoman empire, or with the establishment of the Papacy and ending them with some battle of Napoleon, or with the French revolution, or with the invention of the electronic cream separator or with some other lunacy. (looks like someone just answered this)

• r51785
    r51785
    That this method of calculating is correctly used to bring us to A.D. 1914 from 607 B.C. is confirmed for us by the physical facts that have become manifest from that year 1914 on, in fulfillment of Matthew 24 and 25, Mark 13, Luke 21, and other prophecies concerning Christ's second presence, in the time of the end.

Of course you realize that if all the European diplomats could have reached some kind of agreement short of war in the summer of 1914 that there would be no WT religion, we all would have had more normal lives and this discussion board would be about gardening or wine-tasting.

• cellomould
    cellomould

Farkel,

bttt with this excellent post! Isn't it crazy how banal this stuff seems in retrospect?!!

It is so clear that the 1914 prophecy was designed to fit the expectations of the time. No question.

Would any sane person today independently come up with that date? For that reason? No. Not even the WTS would come up with this kind of B.S. nowadays. But since it's tradition and it works, the 'logic', or lack therof actually, persists.

Maybe someday everyone will wake up to this at the SAME TIME! Hopefully!

Thanks for putting so much thought into this.

Celloboozer

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Farkel,

I agree with your rationale. I especially used to wonder at the cruelty of practically paralyzing Ezekiel to lie in one position for sooo long. Inhumane? No, I think impossible. plus, how did he get his food? I guess miracles, or assistants.

Anyway, I have just a quick question. what about the 'weeks of years' mentioned in Daniel 9:27? And, by using this, the 'Jews were in expectation of the Messiah' (Luke 3:15). At least that's the way I remember it being explained.

Wouldn't these verses lend support for the 'year for a day' theory?

Pat

• aChristian
    aChristian

Patio,

One point that should be made concerning Daniel's "seventy weeks" prophecy is that it doesn’t actually use the word "days." It speaks of "weeks," or more precisely "sevens." The Hebrew word which is translated as "weeks" in many Bibles is translated as "sevens" in others. Why? Because that Hebrew word actually refers to a "group of seven," not just a group of seven days, as in the word "week," but a group of seven anything. So Daniel 9 actually refers to "seventy groups of seven" years and makes no reference to "days" at all. This being so, the so-called "seventy weeks" prophecy cannnot be used to support the "year-day principle."

One article discussing (debunking) the so-called "year-day principle," with more reasons why Daniel 9 cannot be used to support it, can be read at this web address: http://www.goodnewsunlimited.org.au/yr_day.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit