Its almost 2010... aren't we supposed to be on our way to Jupiter by now?

by Elsewhere 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Bourne
    Bourne

I remember growing up in the 70's as a young child. This is what we were supposed to have by 2000. At least that's what Gerard K. O'Neill told us. And with movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, Close Encounters, the Apollo moon missions going on.....I almost believed it. Guess I have to wait.

Bourne

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is not the first time our leaders have dogged progress. We were supposed to have had cures for cancer--since the 1950s, no real progress beyond prolonging the suffering and longer courses of "treatment" has been made. We were supposed to have alternative energy becoming mainstream since 1973, yet where is nuclear fusion power? Where is geothermal power in widespread use? Where are all the widespread solar power plants?

The government ought to just sell out anything that has nothing to do with protecting people from initiatory use of force, threats of force, or fraud. Let the private sector get us into space, without holding them back with so many stupid regulations. I bet they would not be sticking us with that jalopy we now call the space shuttle (which basically condemned us to remain in low earth orbit, forever, instead of going to Mars or beyond). I bet that, given true competition, we could have man on Mars safely within 5 years and on Jupiter's moons within 8-10 years. And we could have man headed toward Pluto and Sedna within the next 10-15 years, and to the nearest star within 20.

• blondie
    blondie

I'm leaving next month. I have 3 seats left if anyone is interested.

Jupiter Florida................

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

That was your future - until it was stolen from you!

The future isn't what it used to be.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> move each letter in the name HAL one letter forwards............and you get?

God damnit! Just another damn product placement advertisement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit