I Want A Greasy Hamburger!

by snowbird 57 Replies latest social entertainment

• Libelle
    Libelle

oooh In-N-Out Now there's a place I miss! Only problem is on the bottom of their cups/bags etc is John 3:16. But their hamburgers are yumtastic.

I want a greasy hamburger with chili cheese fries too.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

We now have aFive Guys Burgers & Fries here. I was impressed.

http://www.fiveguys.com/home.aspx

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just tried Five Guys at Dulles International Airport. It was actually quite frustrating for me because the Kim Clijsters' US Open final was then happening (we were following the scores on my bf's blackberry), and I desperately wanted to get to the Red Carpet Club so I could actually watch the match, but no, he wanted to cross over to another terminal entirely just to get his Five Guys fix. It was okay, greasy and all, but it didn't take more than five minutes to eat, so maybe I didn't get the "full experience", as I wanted to see my Kimmie. And although the match was over in less than an hour, I did get to see the last five minutes of it. Oh yeah, and I counted the wait staff at the stand and guess what? There were five guys. Well, one of them was not a "guy" technically (and I think she would agree), but the sum did add up to 5. The Count von Count would surely have an enjoyable experience there.

Several years ago I tried Steak 'n Shake in Decatur, Georgia. It was okay.....nothing special or memorable. The greasy burger I had at some undescript diner several miles north was more memorable.

Over here we have In 'N Out Burger. They're actually pretty good. I did have a very negative initial experience. If you DON'T TELL them explicitly, they won't put pickles on your burger. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for me. It is inedible if it doesn't have that. Well, pineapple makes a passable substitute if I am in Australia. But anyway we had take-out and went to my friend's house and there were no pickles! And so she went to her fridge and they had only sweet pickles, which obviously wouldn't do. So we actually went to the market so I can have the burger with pickles. Anyway, that kind of turned me off to In 'N Burger. But now I know they'd put them on if you just ask.

In my town and in various other places in California and Hawaii, we have The Counter. This is the serious, hoity-toity, aristocratic multi-$$$ burger. I went there once over here, and it was very tasty and you could have almost any topping on it. ALMOST. I was surprised in looking at the checklist that of all the obscure toppings, they did not have beet root. I mean, come on! You could have everything else that is on an Aussie "the works": fried egg, pineapple, lettuce, tomato, etc. But no beets! I also tried them in Hawaii. My cousin was telling me of this burger joint in Waikiki that I just had to try. So when we met up in June I said, "let's go there," and then he said, "No, there's a better place." So we went to Kahala Hall and it turned out to be The Counter. Anyway, it was as Samuel L. Jackson would say, "a tasty burger." And the sweet potato fries were good too.

Lately, amazing enough, I have been going to McDonalds (don't worry, I eat a burger maybe just once a month or maybe two months). The thing is, they have always had the WORST burgers bar none. Awful, horrible patties. Even the horrific "airfield burger" I had in Kakadu was better. But now they have these Angus burgers in imitation of the whole hoity-toity better burger craze started by Carl's Jr's "Six Dollar Hamburger" a good number of years back. Jacques dans la boïte (as I call them) and Burger King followed suit, McDonalds was the last to catch up. But dang, these new burgers are good. They must put the same magical sense-stimulating "food additives" they put into their delicious fries.

• undercover
    undercover

I think the best burgers are in the roadside dives and diners. When a place goes corporate, or worse, franchises the stores, the product suffers.

I like to discover the local favorite spots for burgers/bbq/etc. Forget the chains and corporate menus.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Undercover,

I'm gonna open me a diner just for you and I'm gonna call it "THE GREASY SPOON"

• snowbird
    snowbird
    They must put the same magical sense-stimulating "food additives" they put into their delicious fries.

LOL. Yep.

My mother used to swear the main ingredient is beef tallow!

Agreed, UnderCover.

The best burger I ever had was at a little out-of-the-way place on Alabama Highway 43.

We stopped there during a long road trip, and let me tell you, that was the best hamburger I ever ate!

I believe they went out of business - McDonald's and Burger King came a-callin.'

Syl

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I wanna furburger with thighs...

• snowbird
    snowbird

QUIRKY!!!

*don't know what he means, but I'll bet it's nasty*

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest