"IF"

by acolytes 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• acolytes
    acolytes

Most christians assume that the gift of salvation is free.

But Gods promises are very conditional and the word "IF" is used nearly 1600times in the bible.

The bible is an "Iffy" book and the promises of God very conditional.

I would be interested in a christian perspective as to why they think salvation is a free gift-

Acolytes

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

http://www.amazon.co.uk/If2-If/dp/B000EJ9M06

IF2 is my favorite

1. Your City Is Falling
    2. Sunday Sad
    3. Tarmac T Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac
    4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You
    5. Shadows And Echoes
    6. Song For Elsa
  • Gordy
    Gordy

When someone offers you something you either accept it or reject it. Yes or No.

Don't come back saying "IF" thats on your part, not the one who made the offer.

• mouthy
    mouthy

"By Grace you are saved ,through Faith,that not of yourselves it is the GIFT of GOD"
    Ephep 3:2 we dont give gifts back....Unless your mad at the giver

• acolytes
    acolytes

Iam not mad at the giver Mouthy-

But Gods love seems very conditional based on reading the bible.

I just opened the book of John and with little effort-

Jesus. You are my friend IF you do what I COMMAND-

Jesus IF you obay my COMMANDS you will remain in my love

Jesus IF anyone does not remain in me he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers

Jesus IF you love me you will obay what I command-

These are a few illustations that seem similar to the love shown at the kingdom hall.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I read the bible every day for about 20 min only..I dont believe it all
    I pick out the parts i agree with & understand. I dont see as many ifs as you.
    I see promises ,that LOVE covers a multitude of sin. I have been & am a sinner
    I accept that. Mostly I love to read the words of Jesus in red. No body can know the mystery
    of life ( (ME THINKS)but I believe I accepted the gift of life.I am 82, but I am ready
    for the other promises,,,, parts of my reading promises !!!! Heaven ! No pain.no tears,no suffering
    Was glad to read your not mad at God ((((HUGS))

• acolytes
    acolytes

I envy you Mouthy.

Acolytes

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hi acolytes... it helps to do as Grace does.

I have come to understand the Bible as a book that was written by men (yeah, where are the women's contributions? ) who had their own thoughts about God and wrote them down. It is definitely a book about control. If you step back and start analyzing what is written as well as who has interpretted it which ways, you can see that there are many flaws in logic, and in alignment. There are definite contradictions.

A key scripture for me is 1 Thessalonians 5:21: "Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good." -- KJV. I have yet to have anyone prove that God exists. I find it very humourous and ironic that the very supposed word of God instructs us to do something no one has ever been able to do. I tell people now that I don't 'believe'.... I 'hope'. I hope that the good things in the Bible that are promised will be fulfilled. This is all I can do. Without proof, how can one believe?

The very end of the Bible has 2 more key scriptures for me, Revelation 22:18-19. I see this as a warning to us that the Bible was/is expected to be and has been altered. My mind says to me ... 'Hmmm. So how can you trust what's in it then?" My conclusion: Take the Bible with a huge grain of salt.

My barometer now is that if it isn't a True North Principle... if it doesn't align with "The Laws of Life" I don't put any stock in it. There is much in the Bible that does not align with this. But when it does, I 'hold fast' to it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The gift of Grace is given, freely the only "if" is IF we choose to accept this gift.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Heaven - not to hijack this thread, but if you are interested in women's contributions to the Bible, read The Book of J by Harold Bloom - you won't be disappointed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit