Jehovahs Witnesses are banned in Russia

by Quadraphoenix 52 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• snowbird
    snowbird

I forgot which country, but they bought it, hook, line and sinker. I hope Russia is a little smarter than that.

Bulgaria.

http://mmoutreachinc.com/jehovahs_witnesses/blood_new_light/blood_new_light.html

Sylvia

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sylvia..

No doubt the WBT$ will try to Con the Russians..

But..

The WBT$ will still do what they want,regardless..

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

This is different. The JW's can't take it to court and win. They already lost. If they try appealing to the EU, I have a feeling they're not going to get anywhere with it. This may be a religion that thrives on persecution, but this is NOT going to motivate the JW's much more. They expect persecution but if they live in a country that doesn't hassle them, then they will be lax on preaching and bringing the money in.

I especially like what one poster said earlier in this thread: It was supposed to be Babylon the Great that fell first, not the WT!!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    SBF - as you very well know there is a difference between mainstream religion and high control groups (cults). Surely as a society we are capable of offering our citizens an adequate framework that balances the fundamental human rights of freedom to worship and protection from oppressive cults that restrict those same fundamental human rights?

I don't think the answer is to criminalise groups we don't like. If they break the law they should face consequences like everyone else. I actually think there are more interesting possibilities pursuing that route rather than banning JWs outright. For instance why are JWs allowed to exclude people from positions of authority in the organisation on the basis of gender and sexual orientation? I'd like to see that challenged.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Since Jehovah's Witnesses were merely one 20th century expression of American imperialism, it makes sense that Russia would renew its distaste for the group now during the current crisis of global capitalism. We will no doubt see more of this sort of thing as the global situation deteriorates. That's the pressure the Watchtower organization will face from above, from governments. But pressure will no doubt be exerted from below as well, as a result of the economic and cultural decline of the US and the ascent of China and East generally, and the JW-style 'American dream' loses its mass appeal.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Per the Bible, JWs and all religion will be banned by the UN when it takes over world government.

Maybe we're seeing it already. After all, they are banned in China as well as Russia already. Maybe the world government will just clamp down on religion across the board and create a purely secular state. JWs and Islamic extremists in a world that sports many atheists make for a good case to suppress all public expression of religion, especially if it is critical of other religions.

There is already a UN initiative to ban any expression against a religion by another religion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRb2OKPBswM

This shows the JWs can be banned and destroyed completely if the political elements go against them. What happens to them in China and Russia will happen to them in the US. Don't forget WWII where they were targeted by the Nazzis.

Think about it. It just takes a whip of the pen to illegalize any group. Plus think about all the MONEY that would be garnered if funds were confiscated as they were in Russia? That is the scene of BTG being destroyed by the UN, with an emphasis on all their wealth being confiscated.

Everything in the Bible is coming true. The next big event is the end of the WTS. That's already happening in some countries!!

The US is becoming bankrupt. They are not the grand, indepedent country they used to be. They will have to join the rest of the world to SURVIVE. Banning JWs and the Catholic Church is a small price to pay, especially with all the "child abuse" issues.

LS

• besty
    besty
    I don't think the answer is to criminalise groups we don't like

SBF - I purposely avoided using the 'I don't like you' reason. I don't like any organized religion per se. I'd prefer it if they would all disappear, not through banning via criminalization, but through a natural deselection process where their unnecessary contribution to society is fully accounted for. Not in any close time frame I suspect :-)

Having said that high control groups are not benign - malign is apt. It's not a question of 'not liking' them. They are in breach of the spirit if not the letter of the UDHR - particularly with regard to their shunning policies that have destroyed millions of family ties over the decades.

I believe more stringent public benefit tests are a good first step to removing their tax-free status - hopefully this will be the start of a process of financial incentive for groups such as the WTS to start mending their ways towards becoming merely benign.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Ok, what I don't understand is that the teaching I remember was that the UN would turn on babylon the great and THEN turn on the JW's - the touching of J's eye thing and not the other way around

When the bans were lifted in the former Soviet Union, everyone was happy because it opened up the preaching work creating a great influx of new witnesses signifying J's protection and blessing - this new ban would seem to put all of that in reverse and would plunk the JW's into the babylon the great category being targeted by human governments....if I still believed any of that stuff...

Going by what I remember, JW's should be confused and weirded out by this development in Russia - I know I would be!!!

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's an understandable decision that more countries should be taking and anyone can see why the Russians saw the JWs as they reallly are, a dangerous cult that destroys families, behaves towards its members in a ruthlessly dictatorial manner and causes needless deaths through its blood transfusion ban. In Russia there is no obsession as in the west with political correctness to hold them back from dealing harshly where this is called for.

Of course the JWs are mind conditioned to see it as an unjustified persecution instead of a policy that aims to reduce family destruction and needless deaths.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Since Bulgaria has been mentioned ...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/126041/1/Children-in-Bulgaria-CANNOT-BECOME-MEMBERS

"As regards the ALLEGED involvement of children, the applicant association [WTS] submits that children CANNOT BECOME MEMBERS of the association but only participate...In respect to the refusal of blood transfusions, the applicant association submits that there are NO religious sanctions for a Jehovah's Witness who CHOOSES TO ACCEPT a blood transfusion and that, therefore, the fact that the religious doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses is against blood transfusions CANNOT AMOUNT TO A THREAT to public health." ECOHR, re: WT seeks legal recognition in Bulgaria, 1997, www.AJWRB.org [CC: emphasis]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit