I find it illogical for people to believe in "Religion"

by sinis 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• sinis
    sinis

I just don't understand. I was raised a JW, believed the whole line of bullshit, hook, line, and sinker. After leaving I still believed in the Bible. Yet something happened. I no longer believe, I actually don't even believe in "God". It actually makes more sense to believe in pure evolution, or perhaps even the Ancient Astronaut theory, over some impotent "God" who can't even change anything, much less answer the woes of humans over the past eons. Basically, I'm fine without believing in "God". True, I may never know all the mind bending questions, but who cares. Why bother. All I have, that I know FOR CERTAIN, is this life, and I'm going to live it to the fullest. Why do people waste their time, lives, and who knows what else, mentally masterbating over some book written during the stone age? I just do not understand the madness...

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I just do not understand the madness...

Me, neither.

Sylvia

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Well, I can understand and truly, the Bible is a closed book for only the elect at some point.

But for me, since I'm really involved and one of the anointed, I have no doubt there is a god because I've seen and talked with him personally.

But that's ME. You still have reason to doubt. But I know for sure.

LS

• VIII
    VIII
    But for me, since I'm really involved and one of the anointed, I have no doubt there is a god because I've seen and talked with him personally.

Can you ask him to do me a favor?

Botox. Oh, and the money to pay for it. Lifetime supply. I'd say forehead, area around the mouth, other areas. Budget of, say, $6000.00 per year should do it. That might cover underarm treatment also. For heavy sweating.

I really don't want to live forever. I just want to look better while I'm here.

As for Religion--I'm with you sinis.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

I just do not understand the madness...

This madness comes from the minds of men who are out to seek power, money and control over others,

throw in some human ignorance and you have yourself a religion.

In essence the JWS religion is not unlike any other religion out there for within its basic internal structure

is the same frame work of every other religion out there. Quite frankly I think religion in general is on its way out,

there is a more modern human awareness being developed that is coming to the front and may proceed it and

that is basic humanism.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Just out? Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of turning your back on Scripture like the ex-JW atheists and God-haters on this site have done; they are just Satan's minions and offer very little in the long run. The biggest mistake you can do is pretend that the Bible is not the word of God, and thereby do your own thing as you see fit. It's understandable that the JWs have poisoned you to the truth as represented in the Bible, but that is their version, their error, and that's based on their NWT Bible, which is no real Bible at all. If you have been in for very long, you probably have been brainwashed to believe that Christendom is the work of Satan. It's not. You probably think the Trinity is the work of the devil. It's not. You have just been mislead to believe that.

Don't turn your back on Him and deny Him. Do not be anti-Christ. Don't swing from one ridiculous extreme to another more ridiculous extreme. From the Almighty's perspective you are better off in the cult and believing in Him than denying Him. I don't need to tell you the risks involved. Plenty of good protestants and catholics out there. Some of them are preaching on the radio.
    http://144000.110mb.com/index.html

• sinis
    sinis

Do you think most people leaving the JW's, or who are basically disgusted with whatever religion they previously had, find that they still believe in the Bible, faith, etc. but just in a different form, or do you think most do a 180 degree turn and completely shut down when it comes to religion, and investigate other plausible, less spiritual possibilities?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of turning your back on Scripture like the ex-JW atheists and God-haters on this site have done;

Not all atheists are ex-JWs. They consist of people of all different faiths, why should JWs be any differen't.

you probably have been brainwashed to believe that Christendom is the work of Satan. It's not. You probably think the Trinity is the work of the devil. It's not. You have just been mislead to believe that.

You are making a lot of assumptions about what ex-JWs believe, what our reasons were for being JWs, and what our reasons were for leaving. Believe it or not, the trinity is not the central issue in many of our lives, or an issue at all, for that matter.

The biggest mistake you can do is pretend that the Bible is not the word of God, and thereby do your own thing as you see fit.

Another arrogant presumption. You are assuming people who no longer believe the bible is god's word aren't really firm in their convictions, but rather simply want an excuse to live a debauched life without guilt.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

One aspect that may provide some additional perspection is considerations about commitment and culture.

JWs are a fundamentalist faith, and require strong commitment from their followers. They put in place strong punishments (and a few rewards) in order to force people into a set pattern of behavior. Religious dogma assists in this process with promises of paradise and fears of armageddeon being used as control devices.

What is largely missing from the JW fundamentalist experience is culture and tradition. JWs have no holidays, traditions or any other unique cultural heritage. Many people "in the world", and even in other fundamentalist sects, stay within such systems because of these cultural traditions. Belief in god and religion is simply a vehicle by which this is achieved. This also provides people with a connection to the past (e.g. "this is how they used to celebrate a marriage in the old country"). Try looking up "cultural mormon", its pretty intersting.

People born and raised JW have very little experice with these cultural and traditional ties. Of course, such traditions have their own positives and negatives. Yet to label all "religion" as something similar to the fundamentalist JW perspective is a great mistake IMO. Not all people take religion as seriously as the JWs do. Additionally, people may "get" things from their religion that the JWs never provide, things that go beyond the comfort a dogmatic theology provides - (i.e. social activity, traditional, holidays, cultural heritcage, etc)

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I find Atheism irrational.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit