Feeling it today

by Heartbreaker 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

(((Heartbreaker)))

Hey, you throw a nice pity party!

Okay, let's try to find a bright side here...

"and while the money is SO DAMN GOOD, I just don't know if I can do it"

{Cue the sympathy music} You really have been through a lot. The economic hardships are overwhelming enough, then the JW backlash crap is piled on top like sh!t frosting on a crap cake! It's not at all fair to you. You are a good person and deserve much better.

{Cue the motivational music} But Guess what? YOU'RE DOING IT!!! You learned great sales techniques from Watchtower Corp, which had NOTHING of any real value to offer. Now, you're selling something that people really want and really need! You are right to compare the two at every opportunity. As JWs we were unwelcome intruders and constantly got turned away. Now, you've got something of value, insurance. Some will turn you away, others will want a quote but not buy, others will buy. If you came into my business with Craptower magazines, I'd take them, smile, and pitch them in the trash when you left the door. But if you came in offering health insurance, I'd say, "Can you come up with some figures for a group policy for three employees?" That's enough for you to hold your head high. This is certainly paying better than going d2d for Watchtower Corp.

Of course it's work, and stressful, and overwhelming, but dammit {slap} you're the one that is doing it, because people need insurance and they need an insurance broker... you are that broker! {slap}

"The constant pushing myself to sell sell sell, I feel like a regular pioneer of insurance world. My manager is pulling in 6 figures, and we are about to lose our house to foreclosure."

Oh no, you are THE PIONEER OF INSURANCE WORLD! Right now, you're still learning the ropes. As you learn you're way around the business and get more leads and networking, you'll be THE CIRCUIT OVERSEER OF INSURANCE WORLD!

Will your manager be retiring soon? Maybe a bad cough? Bad brakes on his car?... just kidding.

I hope things improve, but more importantly, I hope your outlook gets brighter! This is a normal time of year to get the blues, you know.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

(((Heartbreaker))) I can relate to so much of what you wrote. More than what any of my posts might reveal or even hint at.

I'm very glad that you are acknowledging and expressing your feelings. To the best of my understanding and experience, that's a huge part of the process.

I'm not around the forum very much and feel ill-equipped to be of much real assistance to you right now, but for what it's worth, you're not alone in feeling the very real and valid emotions you describe when parallel circumstances bring up the nausea, anxiety, sadness, anger, and other powerful emotions, after the fact. I hope you will continue chatting with us as need be and also find a safe secure time and place (and person if possible, your hubby ... or does your workplace have an employee assistance program or benefits coverage with access to counseling?) to let these things out safely. Let the tears flow. Your body needs to let them out. It's a natural and healthy response to unnatural circumstances. Trust nature to do it's thing.

Please take care of yourself as much as possible with sleep and good eats and slow deep breathing too. And please be compassionate with yourself. From my own experiences, it can feel pretty scary to be experiencing such powerful emotions, especially when you are so accustomed to being "the strong one" through thick and thin while everyone else falls apart at the seams. But you can get through this. It might even serve to make you stronger than ever.

My thoughts are with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxBJUUhyccY

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Eventually you will meet and make friends with people through your kids, work and whatever charitable, civic or interest group/s you involve yourself in. It's normal to miss something that's been taken away from you.

I used to do cold calls for a health insurance broker to get him appointments with small businesses. Approaching people without being invited kind of reminded me of being a jw, but after I thought about it, the cold calls were much more valuable than the door to door work. Like the people you're calling, the busineses that I worked with were outpriced by most insurance companies. I was providing a service that they really needed. Try to remember that when you're out pounding the pavement looking for customers. If you want to know what types of companies I called, shoot me a pm.

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

ok, I will respond individually, but I just wanted to say that I smiled, through tears, but still smiled to know I can count you faceless people (lol) as friends here. I will go to sleep with your kind words in my mind.

And of course it could also be the vanilla ice cream that I poured my share of Kahlua over, equal parts that and milk nog. *burp*

Nite lovely people.

• 2pink
    2pink

you had me at cookies and kahlua (assuming that there are some left, of course).

anyway, i so feel you. as you know, we are in very similar circumstances. money is so tight, family is even tighter and the future is not lookin' too hot at the moment. while i have faith that things will certainly (and can only) get better, i can totally relate to every one of your sentiments expressed. it's hard, SO hard sometimes that, like you, i don't even know where to turn to improve your circumstances.

keep smiling, heartbreaker. it's sometimes the only thing i can do to ensure my day and my kids' day is a good one. we are here, we are healthy, we have potential. smile big....i know that we have good things ahead. you know where to find me if you want/need to vent anymore. i'm always available.

oh and ps-my husband does insurance. he mostly does retention and office management, but does some sales. if you need or want any advice, he would be more than happy to help. FB me.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    I went up to a few business to see if I could leave a flyer, and it was like informal witnessing to me. I had a crunch in my gut over it. I hated the preaching work, absolutely hated it

(((Heartbreaker))),

Indeed there are similarities between field service and making business sales calls. But there's also a big difference: now you're representing a product that people want and need, not conning them into something worthless, even harmful. So don't feel bad about it, use the poise and practice from service training to do a good job! If you really can't face doing sales, look for another line of work--but be sure it's really your choice, not just a reaction to something that reminds you of the Witness world. Please hang in there and do your best, as we all must.

GLT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit