do you really know what a cult is?

by redjeep 23 Replies latest jw friends

• sacdfan
    sacdfan

Well I've been 'irregular' for a long time (not DFd or DAd..........yet) but I have family and friends still in so I still keep up with all the bits and bobs of JW life.

One of my friends asked me to join their small group to encourage me - it was nice of her but I said I was working that evening (just my excuse).

She apologised a little later and said that the group couldn't go ahead after all.

The elders were worried that the group would encourage wrong/independent thinking.

Good grief - all 'thinking' must come from the Society - you are not allowed to think for yourself. They're probably afraid that eventually someone in the small group might stumble upon scriptures that have been totally misused/misrepresented/misquoted by the Society!

S

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Good grief - all 'thinking' must come from the Society - you are not allowed to think for yourself. They're probably afraid that eventually someone in the small group might stumble upon scriptures that have been totally misused/misrepresented/misquoted by the Society!

Good catch ! Thats why the WTS says one shouldn't read the bible by itself, but read it with their literature in conjunction to interpret and bring a complete understanding.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre
    Since they dropped the book study group in homes, some JWs I know decided to get together on that night to do their own study. All hell broke loose! The elders of their congregation went mental! Anyone would have thought they were getting together for a satanic ritual! They were told that they were not to take it upon themselves to form their own group as this was dangerous and erroneous thinking would creep in.

What is insane is how many of the 'friends' simply accept this and keep going along. Whatever rule is made, they blindly follow.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Critical and independent thinking is frowned on for there is the potentiality of losing members of the flock,

which may result in losing power, control and of course money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit