Planted a seed today... Update on de-program of my 16 year old son

by Aussie Oz 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dgp
    dgp

I understand that the way to help a witness is to present him or her with information or facts that will get him or her thinking. I understand that heavy use of the Bible or discussions to prove them wrong lead to nothing, because people go into their "I-won't-listen-to-you, Satan" mode and, also, because subconsciously they realize they have been duped and refuse to accept they were so gullible.

With regard to the internet, I think you can talk about the good things it does offer to people. For example, free software, communication, information. You can tell him that, yes, there are many bad things out there, but, in general, the internet is a good thing if you exercise your critical thinking. I think this is an indirect way to expose him to information and suggest that critical thinking is not a bad thing.

I hope this helps.

• dgp
    dgp

There's another thing you can use to your advantage. Since the society itself is using the internet to spread their messages, and you can download MP3s, et cetera, then the society itself considers the internet a good thing, if used properly. I guess that should make inroads with your child.

• yknot
    yknot

Keep scattering those seeds at every opportunity!

Heres to hoping he 'blooms' into a full blown Ex-JW apostate!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Here's another seed I've been able to plant with the dubs about the Internet.

Whenever I buy anything of much expense, I do my research on the Internet. I need a new printer? I go to the web and do my research. No, I don't just go to the manufacturer's site, they'll say how perfect every product of theirs is. I need some REAL input on this stuff, not marketing hype. What are the pros and cons of the different models as explained by hopefully unbiased professionals? What about the reviews by people that have bought and used these products? What don't they like and why? Then I make up my mind. That's saved me from making bad choices on purchases.

Would we expect people to NOT research a decision as important as changing their religion? Can we really expect intelligent people to only get input from nicely dressed literature salesmen knocking at the door? Nope. This is the Information Age, and people can... and will... go to the web and search "Jehovah's Witnesses" or "Watchtower". Then they'll read. Maybe they'll go to wikipedia and read through that, Russell's pyramidology and all. What decision will they come to? Go look at what's out there for yourself and you'll find out why more and more right-hearted householders are saying, "We're not interested."

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Thanks for posting Billy - That is an excellent approach!

Its a definite keeper which I will add to my arsenal!!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

yep, good method Billy. will use this one! his fave pastime at the moment is researching cars as he is about to get his licence. So i think this approach is one he will understand.

thank you

Oz

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Well, another two weeks gone by. He got his learners permit and we went for a drive. It's really weird having a kid control a car, yet i must remember that was me once!

anyway, had a little chat about how he felt about turning 16 and getting his learners etc. Felling a little more grown up and realizing that he is gaining more freedom to do what he wants.

slipped in some comments on "not ever letting anybody or any one, no matter who they are, tell you what you can be or what to think. Your brain is yours and dont ever let anyone control what you believe".

left it at that and took him to his JW mates WII party with girls!

Perhaps not a huge seed but... from little things big things grow.

i also found out he spent hours texting non witness girl from school the night before too. as well as he said how he likes pole dancers and bikini oiled girl wrestling! WTF! ( I FIND IT INTERESTING THAT WHEN HE IS WITH ME HE IS NOT EMBARRESSED TO REVEAL HIS TRUE SELF) he sure aint getting this influence from me! I might be a horny devil and a red blooded male but i make a point of not influencing him in that direction. He sure knows more than me at that age!

OZ

• etna
    etna

Hi aussie, thats great your son can be himself when he is with you. Keep planting those seeds, and its good that you are truthful to him.

Are you from Australia? If so where? I'm in Sydney.

Etna

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

etna, adelaide south Oz

thanks for the encouragement too

Oz

• JAFO
    JAFO

This is great news bro! Keep up the good work!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit