Who officiates JW weddings?

by greenie 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greenie
    greenie

If two JWs were in great standing and getting married in a kingdom hall, who would officiate their wedding? Could an elder do the whole thing, or would a justice of the peace have to do part with the talk from the elder?

• sir82
    sir82

Depends on the country. In the US, it also depends on the state.

In some US states, it is remarkably easy to get licensed to perform weddings. In such a state the elder just fills in the necessary paperwork, and the wedding will be considered official.

In some other countries, marriages are not legally recognized unless performed by a judge / justice of the peace, or perhaps a Catholic priest. In such cases, JWs typically have 2 distinct wedding ceremonies - the "official" one in front of a judge / JOTP, and a later "religious" one in a Kingdom Hall (which carries no legal weight).

• sacolton
    sacolton

Usually a plumber or a window washer.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I know of one case in which a justice of the peace was actually at the kingdom hall and gave the legal vows after the brother gave the talk. Since a wedding talk is not officially a JW event (like a funeral talk), there is more flexibility on how it can be done, even in a Kingdom Hall.

Just depends on the state (in the US) as Sir82 mentioned above.

Rub a Dub

• asilentone
    asilentone

You do not need to be an elder to give the wedding talk at the Kingdom Hall, but it would have to be a brother in a good standing before he can have the privelege of giving the wedding talk at the hall. I do know a brother who is just a regular publisher and he gave the wedding talk for his daughter and his son in law at the Kingdom Hall.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

Usually a plumber or a window washer.

Now THAT was funny!!!! (because it's soooo true)

• White Dove
    White Dove

The way the brothers control your wedding right down to who can be in your wedding party, you'd think that it is considered a JW event, and not to mention the standard wedding talk outline (to be followed word for word) given to the brothers by Bethel.

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 11/73 p. 8 Question Box ***Since weddings and funerals are not viewed as public talks, appointment as an elder or ministerial servant is not a requirement for one to perform such services. If it is to be in the Kingdom Hall, then, of course, permission must be obtained from the congregation service committee.A dedicated brother from a different congregation could be allowed to give a wedding or funeral talk in another congregation’s Kingdom Hall with the approval of the committee and in accord with the local laws.

*** km 12/81 p. 4 Question Box ***Because Christian marriage is a very serious and binding commitment made by two individuals before Jehovah, the marriage ceremony should be presided over by a well-qualified ordained minister who gives the marriage talk and solemnizes the marriage. Therefore, it is preferred that congregation elders, men well spoken of in the congregation, care for this responsibility in order that all things take place in proper order.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In the U K most Kingdom Halls can be venues for a wedding these days. The J W speaker delivers the wedding talk and takes the vows from the couple

WT 06 10/15 20

"Unless local law requires something else, these vows that honor God are used. For the groom: “I [name of groom] take you [name of bride] to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement.” For the bride: “I [name of bride] take you [name of groom] to be my wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect, in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian wives, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement"

A proper registrar also comes to the meeting to observe, and see that it is properly done. They set up in the back room and the registrar gets them to sign the Marriage Papers.

Job done..they are linked for life......

• dinah
    dinah
    WT 06 10/15 20

"Unless local law requires something else, these vows that honor God are used. For the groom: “I [name of groom] take you [name of bride] to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement.” For the bride: “I [name of bride] take you [name of groom] to be my wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect, in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian wives, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement"

How romantic................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit