The Govering Body....victims?

by Preston 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Preston
    Preston

I just wanted to say I looked back at my original post, and I appreciate your comments. My Hitler quote was off-base and I humbly apologize (it was kinda stupid, then again, it is right after New Year's), still I don't feel sorry for posing a question that was on my mind and I appreciate all of your comments and agree with most of them.

• Flip
    Flip
    still I don't feel sorry for posing a question that was on my mind

Sorry! Why on earth would you feel sorry for making JW.com 'tick'.

Besides, Preston, I thought your premise was a terrific way to ponder the question you posed.

Flip

• david_10
    david_10

The only thing that I disagree with Ray Franz about in "Crisis of Conscience" is the statement he makes that we are all "victims of victims." I suspect,though,that he is intentionally cutting the Society and Governing Body a little slack,which is a lot more than they do for him. I'm positive that the Governing Body and a few of the higher-ups at Bethel aren't victims at all-----They are victimizers and perpetrators of lies,and they HAVEto know it. There's no way that they couldn't. I agree with joy2bfree in her assessment of what goes on in the ivory tower, except I don't think that they are ignorant about the falsehoods they teach at all. They are fully aware that they don't have the "truth", but their only goal is to preserve the Organization and their way of life which,while not wantonly luxurious,is still plenty comfy. And they do it by being "mass controllers."

David

• Scully
    Scully

I have wondered myself about individual GB members' ability to simply gloss over and ignore the valid concerns of hundreds, if not thousands, of 'sheep' who entrust themselves so easily and willingly to their leadings.

How can they not feel loathing at the thought of "spirit appointed" elders (whom they have approved for the duty) literally getting away with beating their wife? or molesting children? and possibly worse?

How can they not feel the same revulsion we feel upon hearing that an elder's wife, fleeing from a situation of physical violence and abuse at her husband's hand, is summarily disfellowshipped on trumped up charges of adultery, simply because she accepted the hospitality of someone who was concerned for her safety?

The group of old men on the Governing Body know the score. They didn't get to be King of the Hill without knowing how to play the game. Even if they wanted to get out of it now, they know that the price they would have to pay is the same one that was paid by Raymond Franz. The fact that their collective conscience allows such atrocities to continue; the fact that 'the holy spirit' keeps 'appointing' people who don't deserve to represent God on any level, shows just how much they care about their own 'kingdom' at Bethel, and how little they care about "the flock".

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• ISP
    ISP

I just missed bumping into a GB member on holiday at the Radisson Cable Beach, Bahamas! He had left the week earlier but had been spotted by one of the dub bell hops!

The GB know its all garbage! Why do they vote on subjects and DF folks who don't agree when that probably exists within them!

ISP

• RipVanWinkle
    RipVanWinkle

Preston,

At one time I would have been inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. To plead imperfection for those who are in position of responsibility when they failed to measure up to the standard. I became a publisher in the early 40's when there was a certain cohesiveness and caring. However, over the years I have seen/experienced things that have left a permanent searing on very being.

Some years ago a dear friend had been through real emotional trauma and was being put through the wringer by a committee. He was being treated by a psychiatrist and on a hefty dose of medication. His suffering made no difference on this committee who treated him horribly. (after all a spiritual person should not see a psychiatrist.) I tried to help - including addressing a letter to the GB to try to explain the circumstances which I felt had been grossly blown out of proportion. I fully expected that at least someone would be unbiased enough to fully examine the whole picture. Years have passed. I am still waiting. Do they care? The answer is apparent.

Yet I have seen people who have position (or those who use their position to cover for friends and family) who lie, steal, cheat, and commit immorality who get not even a slap on their fingers. I have seen justice die and get buried.

I take comfort in knowing that each must render an account and that every day is judgment day. I have found peace in my relationship with Jehovah and have cut out the power that I once gave to the middle men. Respect begets respect and those who are to take the lead should be those to set the pattern for it. I am grateful for the many things I have learned and use to make my life meaningful. But I am convinced that it is impossible to please humans and Jehovah too.

RVW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

RVW,

My wife and I have read your recent posts with much respect.

Few could imagine how hard it must be for you after so many years attached to an idealogy that eventually betrayed your noble attachment to it, then to be able to look back on those past decades without giving way to a bitter spirit.

We are delighted that you have found peace in your life at last, as we have.

Best regards -- HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit