The Elder Bag. Going the way of the Dodo?

by Open mind 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Tristram
    Tristram

My elder dad had an elder bag for years, left, and I adopted it at 18. Found lots of juicy JC notes inside too.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hats off to OUTLAW.

" Look at me!..I`ve got a Huge Bag full of WBT$ Crap I don`t need.. .

And..

I`m going to Pack it Around everywhere!!.."

Sums it up perfectly.

om

• moshe
    moshe

Never had one of those- elder, 1975-78- just my regular bookbag

• Awen
    Awen

All Time-Jeff mentioned Stoops. I believe this is what you are looking for.

http://www.stoopsmfg.com/

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Long time lurker here. I had to log in and say threads like this make this whole experience as a doubting (one might even say thinking) JW bearable. I grew up in this, and now am serving as an Elder, and it's truly one of the most agonizing experiences when one starts to seriously debate whether to stay or to go. In my case, going at this time is not an option. Currently I'm debating whether or not to resign, and it's a difficult enough question that it actually made me feel physically sick at one point. I had to run to a bathroom stall at work a few days ago, thinking I'd vomit all over my cubicle. (not all of us active JWs work in window washing by the way, although when in my cubicle I wonder if the guys washing the windows outside did their bible reading for the week)

I had to log in however, to just say threads like this where one entrenched in JW culture, can step back and find humor in the whole JW experience makes it a bit more tolerable. It's truly one of the most amazing things when you find that there are other people having the same doubts, fears, anger, frustration, and humor regarding this whole experience. The WBTS print magazines and books supposedly to encourage, and I find myself more and more offended by what they print because what they print does not truly cover in an honest fashion all the aspects of what it means to grow up and stick with this. Nor do what they publish give an accurate picture of non-JWs. (all those Jesus lovers! They're all out out to get me!!) The worst part about it is, they later pat themselves on the back and remind you that what they're doing for you ,(one might argue, to you) is for your benefit, as they misconstrue Matthew 24:45-47 for the billionth time. When one stops, thinks, and realizes the predicament they're in after growing up in this, and comes to the conclusion that this is no easy thing to just walk away from, it leaves a really disturbing feeling of hopelesness in their stomach.

So to see a thread like this, commenting on those huge briefcases full of absolutely nothing substantial, gives me just enough cynical humor to keep going. (JWs call it persevere!) It's kind of ironic how they print articles about simplifying your life, but for the longest time all the big shots were carrying around those huge briefcases full of a bunch of books (in technicolor!), outlines, folders, magazines, etc., that they hardly ever had/have to use. Then they have the nerve after rummaging through those briefcases, to stand on a platform and speak about encouragement. No, threads like this..........provide encouragement. I sincerely wish to thank you for the humor in this and other threads. I don't know how much posting I'll do in the future as my enviroment isnt conducive to undercover posting, but again............thank you.

• milola
    milola
    Check out these: http://www.ministrygallery.com/english/bags.htm

Is that real or did you go to all the trouble to mock up a web site for Jdubs? If it is real I am just flabbergasted!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Welcome to JWN miseryloveselders !

It's overwhelming when you're first waking up to the true nature of JWism and realize that your family are still glassy-eyed true-believing Zombie-dubs.

Check out posts by ithinkisee & Amazing for ideas on waking up your family, if that's what you desire. I followed in their footsteps. It took about 3 years, but my wife woke up a little over a month ago. Kids are on board too. Don't give up hope.

Feel free to PM me anytime.

om

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi there miseryloveselders.....

I was moved by your post. Been there, done that. I loved your take and how you expressed it.

If you feel hopeless and frustrated, that is normal, and I hope you know that. I am well aware that many elders are frustrated with the crap that the GB puts out there. And yes, Mt, 24:45-47, their fluffy little pillow, has enourmous butt marks on it. Probably a smelly pillow too....

If ever you need to vent, feel free to PM me. I was an elder and got to go to Gilead. That really sucked, because I got to meet the meatheads who run the show. Talk about seeing the mighty Oz as he really is......

There is a lot of humor to be found. It is theraputic to realize the cottage industries that sprouted up during the 90's.

And yes, those damn bags are technically airline pilot cases. You know, because elders think they can fly.....

• dissed
    dissed

miseryloveselders or is it elderslovemisery?

I shared your thoughts with my wife, thank you for sharing.

I really loved the JW thing until I became an Elder. The abuse was bad for me, but why was my family treated so terribly by so many of the so-called faithful ones in the cong.?

Lurk some more, write a little. I would love to hear a perspective of an Elder in todays WTS, because this is not the one I used to be involved in. Its gotten much worse.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i will never forget the 26 YO
    MS turned elduh when he got
    his flight bag AND his stoops
    soft cover study/reference bible ...
    actually holding the bible in
    his hand so it drooped and said
    "dont you think this will look great
    from the platform"? yeah, jimmy swaggart...
    looks swell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit