New Assembly hall in Pheonix?

by darthfader 18 Replies latest jw friends

• darthfader
    darthfader

I heard recently that they are trying to build a new Assembly hall in Phoenix.

Does anyone know if it's true and what the progress so far?

Darth Fader

• Gayle
    Gayle

Still trying the check about that in Phoenix but ran across this on"

There are currently 41 Assembly Halls of Jehovah's Witnesses in use in the US, with sevaral more being planned. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_assembly_halls_of_Jehovah's_Witnesses_are_in_the_US

could that be true?

• White Dove
    White Dove

I can check it out when I get there.

• Gayle
    Gayle

You can "Google" that "Arizona Assembly Hall" and bring up the address in Casa Grande, Arizona. Phone 520-423-8318.

That is 52 mi. south of Phoenix hub and 72 mi. north of Tucson hub.

I don't know if it has started or if there is a completion date yet. However, I heard it was reasonable money and that there are some houses nearby (reasonable because of the housing recession there which is all over in Arizona) that the WT has gotten (I don't know it the houses were bought, rentals or leases) to house some of the workers/families during the build.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Oh, s***--the new 90 Sands Street!

• TD
    TD

They've been trying to build one here for a little over two decades.

I remember in the early 90's when they were trying to raise funds, my wife brought home an "Assembly Hall News" letter that stated that $2000 dollars per family was not too much to ask. I laughed real hard, but she was actually mad.

Currently they own land, but I don't believe they done anything more than preliminary site work. I can check though.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Thanks all for your responses. Google... duh - don't know why I didn't think of that.

I remember them trying to get an Assembly Hall here for a while - I've just been trying to avoid anyone who might know

As far as construction goes, Ive noticed a few kindom halls popup here and there, but most of the "older" locations are going mostly or entirely hispanic.

cheers

Darth Fader

• darthfader
    darthfader

Just came across this:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/12/03/20091203Phoenix-Mormon-Temple-1203.html

The Phoenix City Council granted 10 feet of height to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Wednesday. It means construction will start on the Phoenix temple, which will be 40 feet tall, and the 86-foot steeple and spire, at 5104 W. Pinnacle Peak Road in 18 months. About 1,000 people streamed into the Orpheum Theatre for the City Council meeting. Some residents were upset about the height of the steeple and spire. A city planning official, however, told them that the federal Religious Freedom Act permits churches to be built in any type of zoning and does not restrict the height. Members of the Little Deer Valley Homeowners group also raised concerns that the temple would overtake the neighborhood and worried that a nearby two-lane road couldn't accommodate visitors.

Proposed Mormon Temple

I wonder if they could build a monsterous tower in my neighborhood.

Tired of oppressive religions!

Darth Fader

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

Oh Great! Thats just what we need here. Last one I was at was the Pheonix civic center.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I called the phone number and asked if the construction has started, the woman said she was just the receptionist and she said some things have started but not the actual assembly hall yet. I asked about a possible completion date, she said she didn't know but she could transfer the call to some else if I wanted, I declined at that point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit