Examining Scripture to see if Jesus was, and is, God.

by jonathan dough 204 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

One more: The Word Was God John 1:1.

The Jehovah's Witnesses base their interpretation “the Word was a god” on a) rules of grammar, and b) the overall context of the Bible. Basically, they argue that even though a literal translation does not include the indefinite article “a” before God, it can and should be inserted, depending upon the context (Should You Believe, Chapter 9), even though a literal Greek rendering is “and God was the Word” or in English “and the Word was God,” (ibid., Chapter 10; Reasoning, 416, 417).

Strong and Vine’s vehemently disagrees with this grammatical assessment.

(4) Theos is used (4a) with the definite article, (4b) without (i.e., as an anarthrous noun). (4c) The English may or may not have need of the article in translation. But that point cuts no figure in the Greek idiom. Thus in Acts 27:23 (“of [the] God whose I am,”) the article points out the special God whose Paul is and is to be preserved in English. In the very next verse (ho theos) we in English do not need the article, (4c) John 1:1 As to this latter it is usual to employ the article with a proper name, when mentioned a second time. (4c) There are, of course, exceptions to this, as when the absence of the article serves to lay stress upon, or give precision to, the character or nature of what is expressed in the noun.

(4c1) A notable instance of this is in Jn 1:1, “and the Word was God”; here a double stress is on theos by the absence of the article and by the emphatic position. To translate it literally, “a god was the Word” is entirely misleading. Moreover, that “the Word” is the subject of the sentence, exemplifies the rule that the subject is to be determined by its having the article when the predicate is amorphous (without the article).

In other words, the absence of “a” in “a god” lays a double stress on and emphasizes theos so that it should read “God,” ie., “and the Word was God.”

http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-7.html#37

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Which one of you is claiming that Christianity teaches that God is everywhere? That the fullnes of the deity inhabits everything in the universe?

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Jeremiah claimed that Jesus was "a god" but not almighty God. I am still waiting for my reply from him. I would ask everyone who believes this to be true the same Q I asked Jeremiah which is this;

If there is only one TRUE God then all other gods must be false gods. By saying Jesus is "a god" but not the almighty God then are you saying Jesus is a false god?

Also to say Jesus is not the Almighty God is incorrect because of Isaiah 9;

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Here Jesus is called "Mighty God" and "Everlasting Father", how do you explain these verses if you do not believe Jesus is God?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I believe in the Trinity, yet I do not endorse what Designs stated.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Which one of you is claiming that Christianity teaches that God is everywhere? That the fullnes of the deity inhabits everything in the universe?

God is everywhere and so is his divinity, no one said anything about his deity.

Of course if you don't believe that God is Omnipresent that's cool.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Jeremiah claimed that Jesus was "a god" but not almighty God.

I'm not familiar with this verse. Can anyone enlighten me?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    God is everywhere and so is his divinity, no one said anything about his deity.

I suppose it depends on your definition of divinity. I don't see how you can separate the two. How are they different? is this a dictionary definition?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

lovelylil our lovely friend :) said:

Here Jesus is called "Mighty God" and "Everlasting Father", how do you explain these verses if you do not believe Jesus is God?

My reply: And in Isaiah 10 Jehovah is called 'mighty god'....

10: 21 A mere remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the Mighty God.

So the JWs have one true God, and another god...both of whom are mighty gods...but only one true god.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Here's another good reason why Jesus was and is God and cannot have been a mere man.

The Father and I are one - (John 10: 27-30)

This verse is often cited in support of the divinity of Christ, that Jesus was, and is, God. They are not two, but one. The Jehovah’s Witnesses continue to argue that it only means they are one in purpose, nothing more. They reason that at John 17:21, 22:

Jesus prayed regarding his followers: “That they may all be one, and he added, “that they may be one even as we are one.” He used the same Greek word (hen) for “one” in all these instances. Obviously, Jesus’ disciples do not all become part of the Trinity. (Reasoning, 424)

Actually, they do.

First, His followers becoming collectively “one” is meant in the spiritual sense, similar to a husband and wife becoming one flesh (or a man and a prostitute), that is, one spirit, not two. “… Do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body? For “The two,” says he, “will be one flesh. But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit” (1 Corinthians 6:16, 17).

Secondly, the glorified believer eventually does become folded into the Trinity, which is the only means by which he or she can attain heavenly immortality. Jurgen Moltmann (1926 - ) explains it this way:

The unity of God is the communion of persons. The missions of the Son and the Spirit have brought creation within the Trinitarian process. At the end of time, all will be folded into the Trinity. The history of salvation is the story of the inclusion of creation into the perichoretic relationship (mutual indwelling) of the persons of the Trinity. (Oxford, 1213)

[T]he monarchy of the Father is perceived in the Trinity because everything in the history of salvation comes from him and strives towards him. To throw open the circulatory movement of the divine light and the divine relationships, and to take men and women, with the whole of creation, into the life-stream of the triune God: that is the meaning of creation, reconciliation and glorification. (Trinity and the Kingdom, 178)

http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-5.html#24

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

di⋅vin⋅i⋅ty

–noun, plural -ties.

1.the quality of being divine; divine nature.
    2.deity; godhood.
    3.a divine being; God.
    4.the Divinity, ( sometimes lowercase ) the Deity.
    5.a being having divine attributes, ranking below God but above humans: minor divinities.
    6.the study or science of divine things; theology.
    7.godlike character; supreme excellence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit