Names of the Angels

by KingAgag 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KingAgag
    KingAgag

Hi all, this might be a silly question but I am honestly thinking about it. I don't believe in God or Angels but I am still curious as to this: The Bible says that the stars are too many to number but that God knows them all "even by name". Logically then he would know the names of all his myriads of angels, right? So we have Michael/Jesus, Gabriel and Satan listed from the big heaven phone book. What do JWs or christians in general believe? Did God give them their names when he created them? So did he call Satan 'Satan' meaning Opposer? If he created free will why would he name an angel something bad? Or did he get that name only after he was a naughty boy? What about the other demons?

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Dancer

Prancer

Blitzen

Sleepy

Sneezy

Papa Smerf

Nixon

Clinton...................................................

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Michael is NOT Jesus, don't fall into something that is NOT scriptural.

In "classical" OT, there are 2 angels that are mentioned and only in Daniel : Gabriel and Michael.

The book that has the most "complete" list of names is 1Enoch.

In regards to archangels, even though the term is only used in the NT in Jude, it is "accepted" that there are at least 4 and maybe 7.

Angels did not have names till Daniel and many view the use of names as a babylonian influence.

There are classes of Angels:

Cherabim, Seraphims, "arch" angels and "rank and file" angels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels

• wobble
    wobble

My Wife is an Angel , I think, because she is always flying up in the air and harping about something.

Love

Wobble

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

My Wife is an Angel , I think, because she is always flying up in the air and harping about something.

Love

Wobble

LOL! Maybe because that means you were being a little devil! What did you do?!!

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Jesus is Michael the archangel. 1 Thess 4 clearly says he has the voice of an archangel. A voice is a unique kind of signature for every individual.

Glad we cleared that up.

LS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Jesus is Michael the archangel. 1 Thess 4 clearly says he has the voice of an archangel. A voice is a unique kind of signature for every individual.
    Glad we cleared that up.
    LS

I guess he is also a trumpet too eh?

• KingAgag
    KingAgag

But my questions haven't really been answered. If JWs teach that names are so important hence why they go around claiming it's Jehovah etc surely the Angels would have names and not just Cherub 1564252 etc? My point was God called Satan Opposer? As for Jesus not being Michael or not... Who cares!? The bible is a load of tripe anyway. There are no unicorns, fairies or angels.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Angels and demons have names, but use them at your peril. Their names have power, they are not like names of humans. If you utter the name of a demon you summon up the demon's power and perhaps the demon itself. Same with angels. Only, are angels "good"? Most descriptions of encounters with supernatural beings depict creatures of tremendous malevolence.

So use names of supernatural beings WISELY.

There are sources for thousands of names of demons and angels. And no, I won't give you the sources, fooling with names of power is not for the novice.

• trueblue
    trueblue

I believe I heard the JW's in a meeting stating or commenting that the names of most angles were not given to mankind for mankind would fall to worship the angles instead of worshiping the true God.

This is a wild guess but perhaps Satan's original name was Lucifer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit