Do you say "OMG"?

by highdose 26 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Mrsjones-what does the H stand for in Jesus H Christ? lol, I've never heard that before. But I like it "

I really don't know. I have to look that up. I like saying it that way too.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yeah, what does that H stand for anyway?

• White Dove
    White Dove

Wikipoedia:

Jesus H. Christ is an example of slang serving as a mild profanity. [ 1 ] The expression can be used in an angry, wry, sarcastic, cynical, exasperated, or even joking tone. The expression implies that the Christ is a surname rather than a title. (Christ comes from the Greek christos meaning "anointed.")

[edit] Etymology

IHC-monogram-Jesus-medievalesque.svg

The expression dates to at least the late 19th century, although according to Mark Twain it was already old in 1850. [ 2 ]

Using the name of Jesus Christ as an oath has been common for many centuries, but the precise origins of the letter H in the expression Jesus H. Christ are obscure. While many explanations have been proposed, some serious and many humorous, the most widely accepted derivation is from the divine monogram of Christian symbolism. The symbol, derived from the first three letters of the Greek name of Jesus (Ιησο?ς), is transliterated IHS, IHC, JHS or JHC. Since the transliteration IHS gave rise to the backronymIesus Hominum Salvator (Latin for "Jesus savior of men"), it is plausible that JHC similarly led to Jesus Harold Christ. (Smith 1994, pp. 332-3) - harold coming from the the mispronunciation of the word "hallowed" of the Lords prayer - "Our father who art in heaven Harold be thy name"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ

• Violia
    Violia

Omg I sure do. I once heard a speaker saw " screwed up" during his talk. lol

• dig692
    dig692

Thanks White Dove! Never would have guessed Harold

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thanks Dove, that's funny...Harold...who would have thunk it?

• Walkin
    Walkin

Someone said that since God created sex, its ok to keep repeating "OMG" when engaging in it. Do you agree? I don't . Because, God is not the one engaging in the sex act. So, it would be right to cry out, "Oh Howie!", or "Oh Susuie!" not "OMG".

As for me, I'm speechless, just heavy breathing.

Walkin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit