shunning and family members

by crittersitter 20 Replies latest jw friends

• nelly136
    nelly136

my mum insisted my stepsister and I went to her wedding at the kh, my mums new brother in law was so disgusted by the way his neice (my stepsister) was treated he went and sat in the car, out of all the people there (was told it was going to be a handful of people) the place was packed, one lady made the effort to speak to us,

my non believing never a jdub or ever wanted to be grandads funeral at the crematorium on the other hand was the total opposite, for the week before the funeral I was allowed to see if my nan was ok, my grandad was never a jw but one of the elders did him a talk which although it had me raising my eyebrows when he was talking about my grandads inevitable ressurection to be with my nan again made my nan feel heaps better from the way she kept nodding ,
    there were greetings and hugs to both me and my dad who is also dd, and we were spoken to back at the house afterwards,
    my auntie could have skipped the ...of course this is just for this week bit, but on the whole I thought they had made a really nice effort to make the day as bearable as possible for my nan under the circumstances, and not let the beware of the dd people overshadow the purpose of the day. I've got to say the ones that were there were a pretty cool bunch and it was nice to be part of the amnesty for my nans sake
    nelly

• thinker
    thinker

I have been wondering about the WT's stand on the internet and why they are warning against it. My first thought was the quick access to the actual history of the org. Next, the open discussions and "independent thinking" on forums such as this. Then, I wondered how the shunning would be enforced if you were online. Now, I'm beginning to wonder about the possibility of an outright revolt over some practices such as shunning. Suppose every witness online declared "As of Feb 1, 2001, we will no longer shun anyone."?

The GB clearly has it hands full. Perhaps the recent reorganization at HQ reflects this?

thinker

• Venice
    Venice

I heard a story recently where a sister was Df'd but her husband was a faithful Dub. When he died the funeral place was packed, full of JDubs. After the first Eulogy?, the wife got up to thank everyone for coming, all the Faithful JW's got up and walked out right in the middle!!!! Her family and all hte non-JW's were horrified. Can you image being that rude to someone. The think that terrifies me is I wonder what I would have done?

Venice
    BTW on h2O we refer to the Org. as the BORG.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Venice,

BTW on h2O we refer to the Org. as the BORG

Well, not all of us. Just sounds too science fiction to me.

About the funeral account - original post was on H20 about 3 mos. ago. What made matters worse for the recent widow at her husband's funeral was the fact that the majority of people there (faithful jw's) walked outside the back doors - and stood there talking, some laughing, etc., while the funeral talk was still going on, and all this could be heard by the worldly persons still trying to listen to the widow who was speaking.

An added insult to the injury of the widow. Perhaps they didn't know that their voices carried so far - but that's beside the point. It shouldn't have happened, period.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 3 January 2001 20:44:5

• Grunt
    Grunt

Simon, and any others here who have brain-washed loved ones that are shunning them, I am sorry. I do think there is hope just ahead as this organizations leadership dies off and the new group comes in. I see the Jehovah's Witnesses as being very nearly a hate group. A person on this thread said they had no friends that were JW's. Anytime I hear a non JW say they have friends that are Witnesses I realize they just don't know the score. REAL Witnesses, the "Whole Souled" ones don't have friends outside the organization. All seeming friendships have one goal, conversion. Only the "Friends" can be there friends. As befits a cult that is willing to cancel family ties at the drop of a hat over being critical of the Cult.
    The old guard is passing though, and I hope that soon the JW's, the KKK and any other hate groups will pass also. I hope that those of us who have had children (in my case) siblings or parents turn their backs on us, not over moral infractions but over doctrinal ones, will have it in us to forgive. Each year I find that a more difficult concept. I saw my wife go through too much hell to really be able to completely forgive my daughter for her rejection of us, her parents, over "weakening" her faith. I was the real target and my wife was just thrown in as part of the package. The poor things think offering up a parent or a brother buys love from Jehovah based on the loss, much as a valuable and unblemished animal's blood bought forgiveness under the old Law. Should we be flattered? I think not.

• thinker
    thinker

So very very sad for everyone.
    Thinkers Wife

• mommy
    mommy

Kinda makes you wonder how they can call themselves God's chosen people huh?
    wendy

• Grunt
    Grunt

It kind of makes me wonder how I could ever have put my faith in them. They managed to get me to "hate" all ministers and to feel that all of the church members were really dumb to be duped by their false religion. Condemning other people, hurting other people, applying a double standard in talking about what was wrong with their beliefs and refusing to listen to anyone who talked badly about our beliefs. Well, looking back it is just difficult to believe I was so stupid. Every cult in the world claims to have a special knowledge or to be the only true belief, from the Garbage Eaters and the Branch Davidians to the Scientologists, the Witnesses are just one more in this destructive, controlling bunch.

• JAVA
    JAVA
    Well, looking back it is just difficult to believe I was so stupid. Every cult in the world claims to have a special knowledge or to be the only true belief, from the Garbage Eaters and the Branch Davidians to the Scientologists, the Witnesses are just one more in this destructive, controlling bunch.

Gurnt, nearly all of us went through the "I can't believe I was so stupid" stage after leaving the Tower. We couldn't see how foolish and destructive we were while singing the Society's Looney Tunes. Sects like Scientologists, Moonies, and the Witnesses treat their followers as children, and it doesn't take long before followers act like they're treated--children. That learned behavior is not really what some call "brain washing," but more like the "self-fulfilling prophecy" as described by sociologist and others. You're right, nearly all high-control religions claim they have the only key to God, and all others will die. When you stop and think about it, only children and adults treated like children buy into the swill coming from the Tower and groups like them. It's good to grow up, yet difficult believing we were there. It's times like this I'm glad I've got a good memory; a good SHORT one!

• thinker
    thinker

This is Thinkers Wife
    Amen Java! Grunt I know what you mean. I feel incredibly stupid. And so helpless for those who are still in it.
    TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit