"Is It Latter Than You Think" Article in Awake

by Leprechaun 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Mad Dawg: Ummm. Actually, the picture show the plane and the missle flying AWAY from the WTC. It isn't predicting anything. Just using common, 1975 images of technology.

Daniel-P: Believe it or not, the World Trade Center was a popular icon after it was built, and appeared in many magazines and photographs.

Right on, Mad and Dan. The World Trade Center (considered by many a great scientific achievement) had been freshly constructed only 2 years before this Watchtower article.

Naturally, Watchtower had nothing better to do than to downgrade this and other scientific achievements, the very reason for this 1975 article and its accompanying graphic that Blondie so graciously shared.

*** w75 2/15 p. 99 Will Science Really Solve Your Problems? ***
    True, science has made some remarkable advances. Nevertheless, in spite of its often sincere attempts to prevent it, hunger gnaws at more bellies than ever. "Scientific" crime-fighting equipment has not cut down lawlessness; rather, it has continued to mushroom and spread from urban ghettos into once-quiet rural areas. Air and water are befouled with pollutants. Science also gets the blame from some for arming missiles with ghastly power and aiming these at the major cities of the world.
    So, as 1975 dawns, even those who once promoted science are not so cocksure about its potency for good.

Let's not forget this was at the tail end of their push to call attention to 1975 and how disastrous things were probably just around the corner. In reality, the real disaster was their need to regret the 1975 hype some 5 years later.

*** w80 3/15 p. 17 par. 5 Choosing the Best Way of Life ***
    ...considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

Len

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So, as 2010 dawns, Watchtower Corp. which once promoted 1975 is not so cocksure about its potency for amounting to jack squat.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

No conspiracy there just good old fashion marketing of fear, something the WTS. has been doing for a very long time.

Doesn't every religious publishing company use a self devised marketing catch to grab peoples attention. ?

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

Yes I agree, Blondie your abilities to find and almost read my feeble mind is wonderful. Thank you, girl.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Later than you think? Was it later than they thought when they sold out in 1975, only to have more than 30 years of late time added? They should have said "It is not as late as you think". But then people would have gone to college and got good jobs while there were good jobs to get.

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

Fat freek,, your right the WT has always seemed to insert sometime negative into everything.

"Naturally, Watchtower had nothing better to do than to downgrade this and other scientific achievements, the very reason for this 1975 article and its accompanying graphic that Blondie so graciously shared."

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

WT has seeing over the decades and printed many buildings of this world to be destroyed. I can recall Big Ben, Liberty Statue, Eifel Tower, VATICAN City(their favoured destraction theme), Acropolis...

Billy bethelite: Great point I'm still laughing...

• SBaySteve
    SBaySteve

Actually, as I recall, the "Is it Later Than you Think?" Awake was in a dark violet color and only had large swirls as the design. It may have had one of the infamous death and destruction drawings inside (didn't everything?) but there was no such cover art. This issue also came out in the late 60's, not 1975. Want proof? It was prominently displayed on the cover of a Maria Muldaur ("Midnight at the Oasis") album called "Pottery Pie" that is still being sold on Amazon.com (here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Poterry-Pie-Geoff-Muldaur-Maria/dp/B0015FHIE0/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1259743630&sr=1-40). Did they maybe recycle the title in the 70s as a way of getting everyone to stay?

p.s.: Just checked mariamuldaur.com and verified that "Pottery Pie" came out in 1968.

• Edington
    Edington

I remember that purple swirly cover well.

I was disappointed when I received my copies for FS that it didn't say...... 'It IS later than you think'

Ed

• teel
    teel
    I bet you can even find a real photo of a plane flying over the towers!!!

How about this? An ad for **drum rolls** Pakistani Airlines! Apparently shown in "Le Point" magazine 19th of March 1979.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit