14 year old JW boy, dies after refusing blood transfusion

by digderidoo 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

A very sad story.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2004041765_transfusion29m.html

Excerpt...

A 14-year-old boy who refused blood transfusions in his fight against leukemia -- based on religious beliefs -- died Wednesday night in Seattle, hours after a Skagit County judge affirmed his right to reject the treatment.

Dennis Lindberg, of Mount Vernon, died around 6 p.m. at Children's Hospital & Regional Medical Center in Seattle, according to KING-5 television. As a Jehovah's Witness, Lindberg objected to receiving blood. Doctors had said he needed it to survive his cancer treatment.

I've really got no more to say.

Paul

Edited to add that this is an old story of 2007, but still very sad.

• Gayle
    Gayle

This was one of the most saddest, most upsetting JW blood issue circumstances I have ever heard. I understand the Seattle area was quite impacted, on radio programs, and involving an ignorant judge accepting it.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

In 2007 there was another 14 year old boy that died from refusal of blood in a Seattle hospitol.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I have a 14 year old boy, i cannot understand how a judge could say that it is his decision. I remember what i was like at 14 and the sad thing is that i thought along similar lines at that age.

Paul

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Sorry i have it wrong. This is 2007.

Sad story though

• DubR
    DubR

And I bet somewhere there are JWs celebrating over this news. Sick!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

this was originally published in 2007...not a new article...see the header:

Originally published November 29, 2007 at 12:00 AM | Page modified November 29, 2007 at 12:49 AM

E-mail article Print view

Mount Vernon leukemia patient, 14, dies after rejecting transfusions

A 14-year-old boy who refused blood transfusions in his fight against leukemia — based on religious beliefs — died Wednesday...

By Carol M. Ostrom

Seattle Times health reporter

of NEXT

Dennis Lindberg

Related

A 14-year-old boy who refused blood transfusions in his fight against leukemia -- based on religious beliefs

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I'm a bit torn on this because I know the kid was pressured, and I know the kid only knows JW belief systems and so forth. BUT, I also know many here left when they were 14, I think that 14 is bordering on an age where a child can make a rational decision.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Could this have possibly had an effect on the more recent case of the cancer patient boy somewhere in the midwest (not a JW, but some weird kind of Native American faith healer religion) in which the courts said the mother HAD to give him treatment?

The boy here again (slightly younger, maybe 13) was brainwashed into saying what his parents said but was also homeschooled. In reality, the way the JW system works, even kids in public schools are really home brainwashed which amounts to the same thing.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

14 is not an age where someone can make a life or death decision. Especially if all 14 of those years have been spent in a closed environment where virtually everyone in this young persons life has parroted the WTS worldview.

How can a person like this think for himself? He can't. He's been subject to dangerous mind control techniques without any alternative viewpoints. He thinks he is being watched and judged by God. How sad...and criminal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit