The New Agnostic Self

by AK - Jeff 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The past few months have found me in a different frame of mind. I no longer struggle with religion. I have adopted a self label: Agnostic Christianist. I am not Christian, but accept that the words attributed to Jesus contain positive object lessons in this life. I more closely relate to Buddhism in many ways. The Buddhist philosophy that is. Less is more. Peace with the universe.

The transformation from a hard core Jdub to Agnostic has taken about 6 years now.

I am at peace with it, though the journey continues.

Jeff

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

You may find the ideas of philosopher and "catholic atheist" Santayana interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Santayana

• Open mind
    Open mind

Sounds good Jeff!

I've slid to a similar sink of debauchery.

om

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

i see u been doing 420 eh?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

It's all about living in the now.

The JW's train you to wait until the future to start living.

But all you have is now, nothing else exists.

• moshe
    moshe

I was at those crossroads about 15 years ago. I came to accept my non-belief as normal for me. I think it is more acceptable now to say you have quit following the literal Jesus. You see the no-fish bumper stickers today- nobody was gutsy enough to do that 15 years ago. For some reason people thought it was OK to give me the 3rd degree over my reasons for quitting the church and then when I told them the reasons, they got upset with me.

When you say you are Jewish, you never have to explain yourself.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

The journey is all. If you live for some far off ideal you will find your life gone before you know it. Living in the moment, thats the most important thing of all. Sounds like you have that all figured out.

Its an adventure, for sure, enjoy!

Ada

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cool. I also agree w some things attributed to jesus. Some people have thought that i was buddhist, based on some of my views. Truth is i don't follow, ANYTHING. "If you see buddha on the road, kill him"as they say.

Anyhoo, agnostic, the idea of not knowing is always a good place from which to embark. I also agree about being in the present, the now as much as possible.

Finding the self. What is the self? I know what poppers would say. No matter, though. It's for you to discover, if you want.

S

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Draw each breath as though it is the last. Smell the aromas of life as if new each day. Let life enchant.

Life is not to be captured as it slides through ones fingers, but to be savored.

Jeff

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Why Agnostic Christianist if you relate more closely to Buddhism. How about Agnostic Buddhist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit