our KH (worth half a million ££) is to be sold

by quietlyleaving 40 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I can say that I know for a fact that the WTS did try to get to congregations to donate their money a) to the WTS b) to another congregation. It has not happened to date. Instead the congregation (b) has had to share the KH with 2 other congregations and has not been able to get the money to build their own from the other 2. Theoretically it could happen but I have never seen it happen here. The WTS headquarters is not listed on the title. So legally the property is controlled by the one congregation trustees. Legally the WTS has no power. Occasionally some BOEs will buck the WTS.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

OTWO and Blondie are both right--while non-profit laws are pretty explicit about ownership, the BOD of the non-profit basically controls the assets, though they or the non-profit corp technically do not "own" them. So this KH shell-game reorganization is a very slick way of increasing the amount of $$ under the control of the Org.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I'm not understanding what you mean when you saying they are leasing the space.

If you lease space versus buying the real property, then it makes it much easier to run out a contract or lease until it's term than it does to rebuild and sell. In essence, if I sell my house and put the money in the bank, that deed is done. I can then turn around and lease a house and when the lease is up, then I can walk away from it having paid only the terms of the lease.

I understand the aspect of who built what and who owns what etc., but in the long run, if I were a business who was not certain I wanted nor needed to own property, then a lease makes sense because at the end of term I can walk away. A KH exists wherever it is paid for - if it's leased, it can be dismantled without any furor at the end of the lease - simply disappear because the WTS is under no obligation to provide a meeting place for any of the congregations are they?

sammieswife.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Why are they even bothering with such a project when the end is sooo close?

• designs
    designs

So is this Leasing business a item that's building steam among the Society's Branches. Is it a cash-out manuver before the End, as they see it.

Some of the Bible Students groups intentionally only Lease or Rent meeting places in an emulation of Abraham living in tents.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Thanks Blondie,

The question of ownership is very similar to the congregation checking account. It is locally controlled by a legal entity (not WBTS)!

I have seen firsthand where local brothers have tried to control the property/related funds. (they can do it short term, but get a couple hundred thousand dollars kicking around...) It never works. The mother ship will strong arm the brothers and thelocal bro's ALWAYS buckle very quickly.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Sweet deal for the WTS - how long before the individual identity is lost by amalgamation? Once you start massive congregations, the individualism is gradually destroyed until it becomes simply one big assembly hall, all the donations and records contained in that one big hall etc. Easier to manipulate and easier to control. Wasn't the original set up so that congregations met the needs of the flock? The switch has flipped to meet the needs of the organization now - but publishers will just follow along as usual. Once condensed into mega Sunday assemblies, the issue of Elders can be addressed by reduction and the space could be utilized for training etc on other days. sammieswife.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Sammielee

the space belongs to a housing association that provides "social housing". I think in America they are called "projects". Housing associations only ever lease space but the lease can run for a long time - often 99 years.

I wish ordinary JWs were more civic minded because if they were they could fight to keep a local KH going for the benefit of the community (that is if they really believe that they are there to benefit people with the good news through public talks). But on the other hand I'm glad all the action will be moving further away from where we live.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

update

3 kingdom halls will be built in the leased space and 15 congregations will be conducting their meetings there

At our present hall the 4 congregations that use it don't have to fork out for rent or mortgage as we have freehold property rights. I wonder how much this will change when everyone moves to the new property.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

update - heard this week that the whole deal has fallen apart. I don't know the reason, I think probably a combination of factors but 2 months ago it was pretty definite that our hall was going to be sold and this new lease taken up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit