Are humans programmed to belive in god?

by highdose 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• highdose
    highdose

this is somthing the GB likes to assert. But they ignore the many atheists in the world as they do so. I have been coming more and more to terms with the fact that i don't blieve there is a god out there, gradually i am accepting this.

• transparentGreen
    transparentGreen

To me it seems more of a item that you are brought up to believe in. Although we may have a tendency to have a need to "look up" to somebody (like mommy and daddy will make it better).

So are we programmed - yes in one form or another

Is it instinct - probably not

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Has there been any culture that has not beleived in "God" ?

• highdose
    highdose

a non jw once said to me on this subject , that we are mearly programmed to belive things, for instance we have always been taught that a chair is for sitting on, but what if what we have always been taught is wrong? what if a chair is actauly a table?... her arguement would have worked if she hadn't picked such a bad illistration

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I don't think humans are programmed to believe in God. However almost all cultures share an interest in spirituality in an attempt to give meaning to the world around.

Many instances of culture without God can be found in Asia, one example being buddhism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Maybe we're programmed to blame someone else whenever the shit hits the fan. God is convenient.

W

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

hamilcarr,

Buddhism isn't the absense of God or even the belief in no god, though it is best manifested as such, it is the belief in the "irrelevance" of "A God".

• transparentGreen
    transparentGreen

Human's tend to look for control when they can't exercise it, hence a need so to speak for a god (sun worship for example). If I throw my dice this way I get a 7, slowly turns into, if I sacrifice the goat on a sunday at high noon it will the jackpot. And that is passed down, and modified and enhanced.

I think its still more of a need to look for someone who has more apparent control then we do (and this is something, whether we are indoctrinated with religion or not are raised with for 15 to 18 years, sometimes more depending on the personality.)

• DrJohnStMark
    DrJohnStMark

I was programmed (in a most literal sense of the word), by the Watchtower society, 'from a child' to believe in God.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Are humans programmed to believe in god?

I don't know.

I believe humans avoid death and stay alive using whatever tools they can access and utilize to whatever degree or capacity at their avail that will hopefully allow them to sleep peaceably at night. I'm beginning to believe that there are essentially as many "religions" as there are people on the planet and then some, depending on various alliances for survival.

Then again, I believe I mostly identify as agnostic, which to me means that I don't really believe there is any way of knowing such things for certain. I might even go so far as to say that it seems increasingly risky to life to cling to public opinions about such things, so I may begin reserving mine more often.

Still, God seems like a conscience concept regarding staying alive or causing death (and the various options and consequences in between). Sometimes god/conscience can be employed individually and sometimes it's a group collective thing that factors in that which is unknown to us or out of our command.

I'm not sure it's about God and I'm loathe to disrespect others' Gods. For me, it's about life. I hope everyone has a nice one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit