How do I help my kids not buy into the JW thing?

by Judc 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that it is a sin to accept a blood transfusion.

If, perish the thought, one of your children required a blood transfusion, your wife would fight AGAINST it, believing that by refusing a blood transfusion she was guaranteeing the child a resurrection into paradise.

Anyone who suggests that you should in any way "go along" with your wife in her pursuit of religious entertainment might just as well tell you to wait until your children have died by being denied a blood transfusion before you attempt to show them the error of The WATCHTOWER.

Don't fall for this ploy. It is weak-minded. Don't permit your kids to attend JW meetings, and don't attend JW meetings yourself. You might have to accept the loss of your marriage to save your children if your wife is especially irrational and superstitious. Cults make people behave insanely.

• garyneal
    garyneal

As an 'unbelieving' husband of a JW myself, I can certainly relate. My daughter is 3 and I wonder what life is going to be like for her. Her life is certainly has a type of 'motley crew' of people in it. When I take her to church, the people there are so laid back and easy-going that the pastor sometimes wears jeans on the stage when delivering his sermons. Some of the people attend in shorts and only a handful get dressed up the way the witnesses do. I myself wear khakis and a polo shirt to church but I also where these to the hall if I go with my wife. I only dress up in a suit on assemblies and the memorial (but I still have 'please pass the jelly moments') that is when I actually go.

My sister-in-law lives with us and she too is a born in but she lives a very 'worldly' lifestyle (even by most people's standards) as she is involved with people who have questionable pasts and practices (felons, people into drugs, etc). Yet, she still believes the WT beliefs so I suspect that once she straightens her life out, she will go running back to the society.

I guess I am kind of lucky as my wife is unbaptized and unsure of whether she really wants the witness life for herself. She seems to enjoys the holidays but swears that she does not want to celebrate them for fear of displeasing God (and being destroyed by Him). It took me a few months to reconcile some of these things myself as I got caught up in the teachings for years and was starting to accept them. My wife also likes signing up our daughter in sports and has 'worldly' friends. Plus she goes to college and works as a teacher where they instruct people to always 'think inclusively.' This is a far cry from the exclusive thinking of the witnesses.

The people on this message board have offered good advice so I will only add that no matter what, love your wife and children. I think by displaying this type of love, you will win them over without really saying a word. (Hey, isn't that a WT teaching?)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Roll your Wife up in a Carpet..

And..

Drop her off a Bridge..

Problem Solved..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Religious relativism.

Teach your child about EVERYTHING... and do it in such a way as to show the GOOD and the BAD about every religion or philosophy or political stance that exists. Your child will then be able to see for herself... being a JW might help some people sometimes... but it is most certainly NOT the absolute truth or good.

relativism n. Philosophy. A theory, especially in ethics or aesthetics, that conceptions of truth and moral values are not absolute but are relative. (from Answers.com.)

And above all else? Show love and understanding... so she will come to YOU when she has questions.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Judc,

I understand exactly what you are saying. My wife a young kids go to the meetings and Last year I stopped cold-turkey. I do not believe it is fair to demand my wife to stop taking them as when we got married it was agreed that we would raise our kids in the "truth". Also, if you try too hard, their defenses toward you, which you may or may not realize are being ingrained in their heads, will get worse. What I have found helpful for myself is allowing things to distract them. For instance, sporting events on a Sunday or emphasis on homework on meeting nights. If your child is older than 7 there is a pretty good chance they will fight you if you try too hard.

The other posts are accurate in saying push education or perhaps sports if it does not cause too much trouble with your wife. Also know this, almost NOBODY will stay in this religion as a teenager if it is to easy for them to get out. They will most likely lose interest as they become teenagers. Just be the cool Dad they can talk to and trust.

Good Luck,

tread

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

"How do I help my kids not buy into the JW thing?"

By lying to them, teaching them the false dogma of CHURCHianity...

• yknot
    yknot

MadJW.....

Read, discen, discuss....the WTS teachings and history fully before you go half-cocked like you do on other forums.... this one is not as emotional as your other stomping grounds...... neither Athanasius nor Arius interpretations are pivotal to salvation according to the bible....and the bible depending on how you want to spin it can support either POV.

http://www.archive.org/details/WatchTowerBibleandTractSocietyofPennsylvaniaWatchTowerpubs_0

Not all who leave or disbelieve the WTS are Trinitarians.....you are promoting a falsehood.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello theMadJW and welcome!

Have you met designs? You might get along well.

So to respond to your flyer.

The JWism is one God who had a Son "a god" who is not a false god, even though there is only one God?!

The correct rendering of John 1:1 is actually far easier to believe. There are plenty of other Trinity debates you might like to get involved with on the board.

Yes God is love but He is also just and holy Psalm 11:7 Hebrews 2:1-3 Leviticus 11:44 Justice does not leave wrongdoing unpunished. That would be injustice and not love.

Everlasting torment is a biblical doctrine Isaiah 66:24 Mark 9:47-49 Luke 16:23 Revelation 14:10 Revelation 20:10

Actually there are two resurrection days, not one Revelation 20:5 Revelation 20:6

After the second resurrection, believers will live in the New Jerusalem which comes down "out of heaven" Revelation 21:2 Revelation 21:10

Yes you are correct, at that point the meek shall inherit the earth Psalm 2:8 Matthew 5:5

Unbelievers will go to the second death which is the lake of fire Revelation 20:14 Revelation 21:8

Blessings,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

Here's another flyer from the same on the Trinity

Trinity

John 10:30 (New International Version)

30 I and the Father are one."

John 17:11 (New International Version)

11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one.

John 14:16-18 (New International Version)

16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

Indeed, it is much clearer when you read the bible :)

Blessings,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

More falsehood

Trinity

Philippians 2:5-6 (New International Version)

5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

Hebrews 1:3 (New International Version)

3 The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

John 1:1 (New International Version)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Matthew 1:23 (New International Version)

23 "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"—which means, "God with us."

Matthew 28:19 (New International Version)

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

2 Corinthians 13:14 (New International Version)

14 May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit