My first "real" Thanksgiving...

by SnakesInTheTower 17 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

well she made the pie with shells... i think it will be fine...she had enough pumpkin batter to make 3 pies...we started eating one of them because she forgot to put foil around the edges and they burnt. We just cut off the crust..we are eating that one ourselves. Also, whipped cream covers a multitude of sins. I put foil on the next 2 and those turned out fine. She bought a couple of extra crusts...and I poured batter into one without first baking the crust..sh*t... so I poured the batter out, baked the remaining fourth crust, poured it into that one..and baked the "ruined" crust with pumpkin on it... turns out the supposedly ruined crust ended up being "Pumpkin Crisps". I nuked them in the microwave this morning a few seconds and I have been snacking on them with my coffee...lol

so this morning she is grumbling about getting out of the nice comfortable bed (sleep number 35...lol).... with the comfy 400 count sheets...oh...and apparently she added me to her list of reasons for not getting out of bed...the 8YO slept a lot yesterday because he is recovering from an earache, so of course, this morning at freaking 430 am....he comes into the bedroom and wants us to get up! we told him wait until 5 and watch tv in his room.... and we would get up... coffeemaker went off at 5....her alarm went off.... we got up..I made her travel mug but the 8YO had poured the dry part of the cereal...so the 3 of us ate breakfast together... then off to work she went...

...leaving me to start cooking. I can cook. I can bake. but ....I have never cooked a turkey or this much food for that matter...dinner for 7...we are having roast turkey...and beef rump roast...the latter which is now in the crockpot.... in a couple more hours I will add the taters, onions, carrots, and shrooms to that ...it should be done by 230...I hope. The turkey has been thawing in the frig for the last 24 hours...I moved it to the kitchen sink.... recommended thawing method is submerge in cold water and change the water every 30 minutes...really?... I can barely find my keys let alone remember to change water.... so I filled the dishpan with cold water and I have a small stream of cold water running ..which keeps the water cold and fresh... I just go in and flip the bird occasionally.... (yes...I know...)

Of course, my dear bride to be wants mashed potatoes...and I hate instant...so the peeling of 5 pounds of taters also falls to me.... I told her I was going to take them out to the garage and run them against my sander....lol....kidding... I washed, peeled, and cubed those bad boys.

Then the onion, pepper, carrots and shrooms for the roast.

The good thing is that the 8YO realized the futility of being awake at 6am, so he is back asleep.

I thought about baking cookies.... ...drink my coffee...check on the 8YO....

Snakes (Rich )

I got distracted and never did hit submit...lol....an hour later I have baked about 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies....the kitchen is clean to this point..all the dishes done so far....I hate working in a mess and I have limited counter space. The 8YO finally woke up at 10...1030 the veggies go in the crock pot...the turkey goes in at 11 (cause the boss called and said so..lol).... so back to my coffee

• flipper
    flipper

SNAKES- Congratulations on your first " real " thanksgiving ! You certainly have come a long way in your quest for freedom since I first met you my friend ! I'm happy for you and your fiance and child. May you have many more happy Turkey days together ! Ain't freedom grand ? ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Wow, you are amazing, Snakes, your fiance is a lucky woman. I love reading your account, keep the updates coming! Its the west coast here, so I'm just getting started.

Ada

• dinah
    dinah

I'm so happy to see you so happy.

A man who can cook. Hell, I didn't know they made those. I want a do-over!

• crapola
    crapola

I only use frozen pie crusts. The ones I've made before are un-edible! Hope you had a good meal!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

well...it wasnt a disaster...fiancee got home at 1130...and promptly fell asleep... I got 20 minute nap then needed to get something else started. She got on my case about supposedly lumpy mashed potatoes.... fact was, I wasnt finished... and she was cranky from a) having worked b) having gotten up at 430am for work...c) having been very sick last weekend. No, I didnt make them the way she does... I looked on the back of the swansons chicken stock can and followed that recipe... she thought I was going to use all of the leftover chicken broth in the taters.... uh no... just 1/4 cup... then she said the taters werent cooked .... no.... they were.... I let her take over the taters.... and the green beans and the stuffing...turns out she used the leftover chicken/potato broth in the stuffing.... I told her there was a reason I saved it after I cooked the taters...

so her parents and her brother and his GF and the 3 of us...the kitchen is also the dining room ...so 6 of us sat at the kitchen table and the 8YO ate on a tray in his room (because he is addicted to tv and internet).... her dad cut the turkey up..... turns out....

that was the disaster...not the carving part....but he apparently poked a hole in the disposable roasting pan...and all the turkey goo dripped on the dishtowel, the cutting board....the rack below it and all of the trays.....and my fiancee....well...I love her...but my perfectly clean kitchen at 3? sh*t....

I clean as I go, she doesnt. Just a different way we do things. Her family had to leave because her brother can only be in a house with a cat for a couple of hours and then has to leave. So we finished the dishes...and went to her folks house for desert. We stayed over there for awhile.... and we came home and I finished sweeping and mopping.

The 8YO had his bath and is playing a game on the net.......I am drinking the last of the cinnamon coffee.... and typing stuff that JD says WGAS about..lol... fiancee is doing her evening workout.... then we will go take our bath and go to bed...she has to go to work at 5am tomorrow...damn. I have to go to the office to trade out work... then maybe I will collapse.

Next time, I will stick to the roast in the crock pot (I put a 3 # rump roast in for 4 hours on low...added carrots, onions and shrooms.... cooked another 4 hours... turned out real tender...her dad liked it alot...(I picked out all the shrooms before serving...he doesnt like em.)

Tell me...why is 10 hours worth of prep, cooking, baking worth 2-3 hours of dinner? We had tons of food left....her fam took most of it. We have leftovers for 2 nights.

I think I got lots of brownie points for cooking Turkey day dinner..... lets see if I can milk that for a bit...lol

happy turkey day everyone...

Snakes (Rich )

• crapola
    crapola

Thanksgiving Horn of Plenty Carving Turkey 2 Glad to hear it went ok.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

ok..that carving smiley GIF...that's kinda disturbing....lol...

day after..the house is cleaned up again... got my fiancee up and off to work this morning... they opened the cafe an hour early to accomodate early shoppers...unadvertised early opening...so she got there a little after 5 and found the place already busy...no break for her.

I got the 8YO off to his grandparents... he has a doc appt this afternoon to see why he is so lethargic.

and I am back home enjoying a very peaceful house...yaay...

Snakes (Rich )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit