My first "real" Thanksgiving...

by SnakesInTheTower 17 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Do you remember as a JW those pseudo-Thanksgiving dinners we used to have? You know the ones, where we ate turkey, dressing, and all the rest....but we did it on Friday so we woudn't be celebrating Thanksgiving like the "world"? The excuse was that everyone in the family was off, the turkey was on sale, blah blah..

Well this year will be my first real Thanksgiving dinner. In the 2 years since I left the Organization, this will be my third Thanksgiving but the only one that I am actually going to be involved in dinner prep. In prior years, as a bachelor, it was too much trouble to cook a full turkey dinner for one (though I know how to cook). So I usually went to the deli at the local grocery store and got turkey and stuffing and all the fixings in single serve containers and made myself a pumpkin pie.

That changes this year. My fiancee took over her family's traditional dinner after her grandmother died. Apparently her mom is not such a great cook or just isn't going to be bothered. I was looking forward to it...until I found out that my dear bride-to-be elected to work Thursday morning...their bakery cafe will be open until 11 am to get orders out and serve breakfast... meaning I get to watch the 8YO and start the turkey in the oven and the roast in the slow cooker.... and any other baking I want to do before the turkey goes in. ah hell...

Then she tells me she is making pumpkin pie...yes...my favorite. Then I see pre made pie shells in the freezer... what? That's cheating. I can see it for cheesecake, as it is merely graham crackers and butter to make it all stick together...but frozen shells? ugh. I am looking up my crust recipe and see if I can intercept this travesty. LOL....then again, I will have an 8YO along for the ride....decisions decisions.

I want to bake some cookies or banana bread or something too. Of course, I what I haven't said yet is that her folks....well, they take the "fun" out of dysfunctional. I have made it clear that any bad behavior (meaning tearing my fiancee down as they often do) will result in a taking aside of the violators and given a choice: be nice to her or leave. I ageed to the whole dinner thing here on the condition that her parents can't emotionally hijack the dinner. So we shall see.... they always wait until I am not around to start their crap on her then it takes me 2 hours to calm her down.

Oddly enough, her mom likes me...we used to work together in a discount retailer about 20 years ago. Her dad likes me because I agree with him on some things...and because my work schedule allows me to take care of the 8YO in the morning instead of being dropped off at their house at 5am by his mom. And as long as they treat my fiancee right, I will like them.

so wish me luck ...lets hope this turkey day dinner is not a disaster...... we could have taken the easy way out...a friend of mine and her husband invited the three of us to their house for dinner for a homemade meal.... le sigh... If I survive it, I will post it (and yes, JD, I know.... WGAS?)

Snakes (Rich )

• snowbird
    snowbird

You WILL survive it!

Great writing, as usual.

Sylvia

• dinah
    dinah

Sounds great, Snakes!

You know the Whoville game starts up on Sunday, right? It's on Jackie's site.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Good luck and have a great day!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

dinah:

You know the Whoville game starts up on Sunday, right? It's on Jackie's site.

yes, and I told toni and she started quoting dr. seuss...shit... i signed us both up

Snakes (Rich )

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

This made me smile, Dear Snakes (You've come a long way... ha! I remember when you were "Sankes!!! ) All the ins and outs and even the family bit, too... what made me smile is that you are strong enough to stand up for your betrothed and you won't put up with any belittling bull!!!

Happy Thanksgiving, Hon!

Love,
    Baba.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Use the frozen pie shells. It is not cheating, well, unless you like wasting a bunch of time, making a big mess, for a crust that comes out crappy. Do some cookies or something that the 8ster can help with. Sometimes they can really be helpful in the kitchen.

At some convenient moment when everyone can notice, look at Toni with a twinkle in your eye and tell her what a great job she did on the meal. If you're up to it, do a Thanksgiving toast expressing your thankfulness for how she, the boy, and her family, make your home such a wonderful place for your first REAL Thanksgiving. If you do it right, even if they do give her some grief, she can give them a "go to he!! because you're not spoiling this for me" kind of look.

Enjoy!

• dissed
    dissed

Just about the time you start to slice the Turkey, I can guarantee two guys in suits will be knocking at your door.

• 20+wastedYRS
    20+wastedYRS

"Just about the time you start to slice the Turkey, I can guarantee two guys in suits will be knocking at your door. "

Mormons?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

pre made pie shells in the freezer......

ahhhh you won't notice the difference, when you work you need shortcuts....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit