Moses's mistake

by highdose 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• highdose
    highdose

ok heres another thing that always worried and puzzled me... Moses made great sacrifices to lead the Isrealites and endured great hardship to do so... but he makes one mistake and suddenly all that counts for nothing and he gets no rewards for his pains at all!????!

this has never seemed fair to me. Basicly what is seems to be saying is that you can lead a exemplary life at great cost to your self, but if you make one mistake... thats it youv'e blown it!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Here's the thing, we all suck, that is a given.

Now, we have some excuse, we don't speak to the Big Cheese, we speak to his lackeys and they tend to be like tits on a bull, useless, so we have that excuse.

God: Dude, you messed up !!

Us: sorry, but I didn't know, not really.

God: Hey, my messengers told you it was this way.

Us: God, those messengers suck !

God: True...ok, forgiven, don't screw up again !!

Now, in the case pof Moses, he saw God, he had long conversations with God till the wee hours of the morning, maybe even wheil showering, lets not go there.

Anyways, he screws up and...

God: Moses, you screwed up !

Moses: Hey, I didn't know, not really...

God: Yes you did, I told and you said, "Sure dude, you got it".

Moses: F*ck !!!

God: Take that biotch !!

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

PSacramento

I am crackin UP over ur post....that was friggin hilarious!!!!!!! Especially the 'loving' ending of the conversation with a - take that biotch! -hahahaha

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I try :)

• Inkie
    Inkie

While it may appear that way, . . .

Hebrews 11:

23 By faith Moses was hid for three months by his parents after his birth, because they saw the young child was beautiful and they did not fear the order of the king. 24 By faith Moses, when grown up, refused to be called the son of the daughter of Phar´aoh, 25 choosing to be ill-treated with the people of God rather than to have the temporary enjoyment of sin, 26 because he esteemed the reproach of the Christ as riches greater than the treasures of Egypt; for he looked intently toward the payment of the reward. 27 By faith he left Egypt, but not fearing the anger of the king, for he continued steadfast as seeing the One who is invisible. 28 By faith he had celebrated the passover and the splashing of the blood, that the destroyer might not touch their firstborn ones.

29 By faith they passed through the Red Sea as on dry land, but on venturing out upon it the Egyptians were swallowed up.

. . .

39 And yet all these[which includes Moses], although they had witness borne to them through their faith, did not get the [fulfillment of the] promise, 40 as God foresaw something better for us, in order that they might not be made perfect apart from us.

So . . . while Moses did not get to enter into the Promised Land, he definitely will get something better.

--Inkie

• dgp
    dgp

That shows how loving the God of the Old Testament is. One strike and you're out.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Actually, you're out even if your great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather missed a ball as well.

Of course, you might be able to get back in if you work your ass off your whole life hitting nothing but home runs. "Probably" you will be conceiled in the day of his anger. Probably. Most likely you will. Maybe.

- Lime

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

inkie noted that Moses is an eternally saved man, written in the Lamb's Book of Life even though he did not get to enter geographic Israel.

Yes, Moses sinned. His corporeal penalty was to not enter the promised land with the rest of the nation. Very sad.

But why did God think this one sin was such a big deal? Because this one sin messed up a beautiful typeology that God was putting into the history book. The first time the Jews needed water (water being a "symbol" or "type" for being cleansed from sin) it required that the "rock" be struck--Jesus was struck for our sins.

and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:4)

The next time the Jews needed water (cleansing from sin) Moses angrily struck the rock instead of speaking to it. The symbolism that would have been demonstrated is that the Rock / Christ only needed to be struck / killed one time for all forgiveness and cleansing from sins. After His resurrection it only requires that one pray to the Rock / Christ to receive that complete forgiveness.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

As a result of our prayer, Jesus cleanses us from every single unrighteousness. Every one. No grudge, no need to earn forgiveness. No fear of it being held against us later. Forgiven just for praying.

If you accept the symbolism you can see why it was such a big deal that Moses messed this up. If you reject the typology/symbolism, then it is a perplexing and meaningless story.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't think the writers of Genesis meant to reveal a loving god, but wanted to show a god who was a smiter and jealous and all- the unfair test in the garden, the flood, scattering the people after the flood.

I suppose the writers of Exodus could have been the same people or wanting to convey the same message.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Even from my earliest childhood I thought that the Israelites were treated unfairly. I wondered what the cities of Caanan did that was so bad compared to the people in prisons today. I just couldn't see it and still don't. God always seemed very unfair in everything he did. I also wondered why he was called a he when my mom said that they are all a-sexual in heaven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit