Does the account of Job and keeping your eye on the prize contradict?

by creativhoney 22 Replies latest jw friends

• agonus
    agonus

"I've read the Book of Job... I don't think God comes off so well..."

Can't remember who said this. I want to say Virginia Woolf or Ernest Hemingway.

My point being, the older I get and the more pain and suffering I see and experience, it's becoming tougher for me to argue this. Though I totally respect those who disagree (i.e. the above poster). At one point in my life I would have said I agreed unequivocally. Now I'm not so sure.

God (especially the God of the Old Testament) has many times been compared to an abusive parent. I totally understand this. However, a good child can still love their abusive parent. Matter of fact, many abusive parents have been saved by the love and forgiveness of their children.

Hell, maybe WE'RE here to redeem GOD...

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Awen,

Because you serve God for a reward be it internal, external or otherwise it doesn't mean that God thinks any less of you. You're obviously a believer so therefore God created humans with our most base need for relationships with all of our psychology behind it. So I would venture to say that humans saying that you must serve God selflessly without need or want of anything in return is not exactly what God is looking for. Afterall, you don't expect people to love you when you treat them badly or ignore them completely, if humans can understand this concept and are not so selfish as to expect something without having to give anything in return then I would say God is no different. In fact if God exists then I would say he does so infinitely better than any of us could.

All the best.

• wantingtruth
    wantingtruth

Awen

you have a pm (click on little blue envelope right upside next to your screenname )

thank you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit