Does the account of Job and keeping your eye on the prize contradict?

by creativhoney 22 Replies latest jw friends

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I'm commenting before reading the rest of the comments...I asked this very question to my jw. Their answer? "YES...(thinks for a minute)...yeah, I definitely would...because all that HE has done for me, I just want to show thanks." I wonder if any of my "thought provoking questions" will EVER seap in!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It may be possible to totally serve God with completely unselfish motives. However, what is the point? Would anyone actually love a God that makes them suffer birth to death, and gives them nothing in return? That in itself is wicked--and to the extent that Jehovah requires that, He is wicked.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

OR:

Is god merely the embodiment of values and ethics in past cultures, and have literalist views made a disaster out of it, insisting that we love a god who used to ask for foreskins, for killing men who slept on the same bed as a woman with her period, for someone who touched the ark to prevent it falling, who killed a baby to punish the parents?

Wake up Awen; it is real only to you.

P

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

If these things are done out of selfishness, then God knows it and there is no reward.

Then 95% of JWs are screwed. Although JWs say that its not a reward its a gift...but its one they are all expecting in return for their years of service and sacrifice. They all seem to forget the verse that says "you probably will be saved". What do they focus on with new bible students? Paradise earth, seeing their dead relatives again, no sickness, beautiful homes and everlasting life. The whole premise of recruiting folks is based on what the recruits will receive in return for handing their life over to the JW religion.

One C.O. told the congregation to stop making such promises to folks in the territory. He asked something along the lines of "If you found out that there was no paradise, resurrection or everlasting life, how many of you would continue serving Jehovah?" Of course, everyone raised there hand. But I'm sure we were all thinking the same... "I don't want to seem like I'm in this just for the perks so I better raise my hand." Of course, we know the point he was making. However, if new light came out that indicated there is no prize...then you would see the long awaited collapse of the JW org. They have to have a carrot as a guilt-trip will only get you so far.

Yes, its a contradiction.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

my threads always cause fights. :( ha ha.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Awen,

So I went door to door (which I hated) and gave talks (which I enjoyed) and other things. The things I loved I did willfully and the things I hated I did because I loved God more than myself...

And this love for God would lead to his approval. His approval would lead to the reward.

The reward is simply icing on the cake.

One that you knew you were going to get because you did things you hated because you loved God more than yourself...because you really understood Jesus' words and truly knew what it meant to serve Jehovah.

JWs are in it for the paradise perks. Take it away and they will linger in the congregation for about year. After they get tired of keeping up appearance...crumble, crumble, crumble.

• Awen
    Awen

Fine. So be it.\

I mean all of what is below with the most sincerity and humbleness I can muster. Please do not mistake it for sarcasm and a mocking tone, because truly it isn't.

My internet is a bit slow so I am not able to go back and look at your video again Tuesday. I misunderstood apparently that the video you posted here was a response to another video you had previously posted.

What you said about me was correct and how I treated you. I apologize and I ask for your forgiveness.

Upno reflection of this topic and taking the words of Jesus into account, I have to grudgingly admit that I obviously do serve God because of the promise of a reward at the end. I figured that a person could love another person without expecting anything in return. I know this has been true in past relationships and the love was never reciprocated, but with God I felt that he could be trusted and a "probably" was better than a not at all.

You've shown me a great error in my judgement/thinking and though you may not believe it, I thank you for that.

All I have to say in my defense is that I have nothing better to do with my life, for I consider the things in the world to be so much refuse, so it is in that context that I serve Yahweh without thought of reward. But your post and others shows that that cannot be possible. There must be a selfishness inside of myself towards God that I simply haven't picked up on.

Again, Thank you very much.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Awen, ... I've never in my life heard anybody apologize so humbly and admit so openly that you may not have been right in the first place (with these words, I'm not implying you weren't). I'm so amazed I have no words. But I couldn't help writing just to let you know you've given me a lesson on humility like few people before. I take my hat off to you and thank you from the bottom of my heart for the way you've moved my heart today. You've made me a better person. Are you a witness?

• Awen
    Awen

In my heart I will always be a Witness of Yahweh and his Son Jesus. According to Watchtower records however, I am disfellowshipped.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Whatever you are according to "records", you are what you are, among other things a definitely humble and therefore great human being, worthy of imitation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit