Utah to bring back firing squads

by cofty 22 Replies latest social current

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yes, Utah is a nearly entirely Mormon state. And blood atonement is the doctrine that requires blood to be shed to atone for sins. That's why they want firing squads brought back.

Utah would be #50 on my list of states that I would like to live in.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    What about carbon monoxide? If entire families have died in their sleep when they only needed to wake up and step foot outside, it seems you just go to sleep and don't wake up?
  • LV101
    LV101

This will be in the courts for the next 5 yrs. or so - their chemicals weren't killing them effectively, taking too long for them to die (or not at all) or something.

I don't like these death penalties.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter
    How about a modern day version of Devil's Island?...why waste money on prisons or execution?
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

This guy is about the same age as me and his memories of executions that occurred during his childhood are identical to mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5siEehBQPjM

• TD
    TD

Doesn't the firing squad have to do with the Mormon doctrine of blood atonement?

Yes

• cofty
    cofty

According to a report on the BBC, the chemicals that are used in executions are manufactured by a European company. They did not make them for this purpose and now refuse to sell it to the USA.

It would be difficult to explain how barbaric Utah now looks to the rest of the civilised world.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

No offense to American posters, but this mentality isn't limited to just Utah.

It's (arguably) par for the course for a country that was founded by religious zealots known for their tolerance of violence:

The title of this piece is "Pilgrims Going to Church", BTW.

• cofty
    cofty

Fair point Vidiot. We should probably apologise for exporting our Puritan nutters.

Republicans were always inevitable after that.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

And speaking of Puritans here is how they dealt with people of a different religion:

Image result for Mary Dyer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit