How do elders step down?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Catching up on some of the posts a thought came to mind....

If an elder or ms wants to step down, what is the process? Can it be as simple as saying "I need to step down" without having to supply an explanation?

I realize that family and friends would wonder WHY would anyone step down from such a privilege!? I'm thinking more from the pov of the control of the GB and BOE in the congregation.

• oompa
    oompa

often with a great big THUD!

actually often it is claimed depression...or too much outside work...not being to spend enough time with family...and the ever popular "i just realized i am in a fluckkin cult"......................oompa

• alanv
    alanv

As far as I remember if you are serious about it they make an announcement to the cong. It simply says that so and so is no longer an elder/MS. Trouble is because witnesses are such a suspicious lot, the tongues are soon wagging about why that one has been removed. It may be for a totally innocent reason like spending more time with the family but many will wonder why has he been removed and I wonder what he has done.

• blondie
  • lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Its a fairly easy process.

You can offer your resignation verbally or in writing. The paperwork aspect is handled by the BOE and submitted to the Society.

Like Oompa said, you usually have to give a half-truth as to why you are resigning.

I wish I would have used the following method:

• Tristram
    Tristram

It's not complicated, but it's not easy. They don't want to lose an elder because that means more work for the others! And yes, an explanation is needed, not even an "I need to step down to focus on my family and their well-being." A specific reason or problem will need to be given. Then it will be "tabled" for a while in hopes that the elder will come around. If the elder holds out, the CO will need to sign off on the resignation.

Just what I've seen.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Thanks for all the responses and the link as well.

Pretty much what I expected.

Elders and ms cannot just walk away. There is that further element of control that the Organization has.

Because even if it's a matter of the people just wanting to know or the other members of the BOE, there is still that mindset of tattling on others and turning them in.

It's seriously like the idea of Big Brother watching you and your every move.

And if it were really the truth, the absolute only truth that blows all other truths away, it should shine in the darkness and not be afraid of the light.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I basically disqualified by saying that I need to look after issues in my own household. I made it very clear to my friends that it was entirely my choice and not forced upon me. The announcement at the hall was as directed by the org, but then the Brother said "I'm sure we like to show appreciation for the work Bro. Cantleave has done".

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    the Brother said "I'm sure we like to show appreciation for the work Bro. Cantleave has done".

Well ! That was not part of the script and certainly unusual..

Like others have said, to quote The Eagles "You can check out any time you want, BUT......" . The Society have to actually remove you on the recommendation of The Body, and The C/O, and you had better have a darn good reason...

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Well....

"Elders and ms cannot just walk away. There is that further element of control that the Organization has."

Never thought I'd be thankful for "just" being a sister.

Ada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit