Does God believe in burning People?

by ssn587 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

I just believe what is on the pages.

New International Version (NIV)
    Hebrews 13:8

Listen to this passage

8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by Biblica

Numbers 23:19

Listen to this passage

19 God is not a man, that he should lie,
    nor a son of man, that he should change his mind.
    Does he speak and then not act?
    Does he promise and not fulfill?

1 Samuel 15:29

Listen to this passage

29 He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change his mind."

Malachi 3:6

Listen to this passage

Robbing God
    6 "I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed.

Romans 11:29

Listen to this passage

29 for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable.

Titus 1:2

Listen to this passage
    View commentary related to this passage

2 a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time,

Hebrews 6:18

Listen to this passage

18 God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.

James 1:17

Listen to this passage
    View commentary related to this passage

17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

As yes here comes the testimonial, the Fundamentalist mind set that can't or won't study Judaism and learn a little something about allegories and metaphores and hyperbolic idioms.

The mythical Jesus who burns people for all eternity, there ya go, swell myth you guys have rolling around in your heads....and you want to entrap others in your Cult.

• Chalam
    Chalam

As yes here comes the testimonial, the Fundamentalist mind set that can't or won't study Judaism and learn a little something about allegories and metaphores and hyperbolic idioms.

Why would I want to study Judaism? I am a Christian, not a Jew!

The mythical Jesus who burns people for all eternity, there ya go, swell myth you guys have rolling around in your heads....and you want to entrap others in your Cult.

As I said, I just believe what is written. If you choose not to believe it then feel free, neither do the JWs.

There are currently about 2 billion of us that believe the bible for what it is so that is one large "cult" Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Matthew 5:10-11 (New International Version)

10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.

Blessings,

Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I am a Christain and a very moderate one at that, at least I hope I am.

I believe in an eternal and loving God, one that does not anger and one that loves us all through his son, Jesus Christ.

I am not under the old covenant nor am I under the OT laws and that is one of the reasons that I don't hold much of a view in regards to the OT.

The little I have studied it makes no sense when compared to the NT and that God of the OT is NOT someone I want to get to know.

I believe that a final judgment will came and perhaps does come to all of us on our deaths, I don't believe that the "end" will came anytime soon, not with millions of children being born everyday that have yet to hear the Word of God.

God has infinit patience because he wants us ALL to repent and be save ( 2Peter), Jesus doesn't want to lose anyone, but the choice is still ours.

I do think that the scribes of the OT went a tad on the crazy side with all those silly laws and "abominations", those things were obviosuly the words of man, not God.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

So Steven, what your saying is then you don't believe in Jehovah God ( the father )

its just his son you believe in ?

Nice picking and choosing !

Isn't being a true Christian believing and worshiping both ?

• blondie
    blondie
    Blondie, nice quote from the WT publication. Can they back that up with scripture?

That is the only place that the WTS even brings up the point that they were burned and that it was after death. jws rarely ready scriptures so by just citing one, the jw assumes that the scripture supports. That is why most scriptures in the WT pubs are cited not quoted, and only at the very least a snippet is given.

• glenster
    glenster

There seems to be a lot of concern to warn people against a tyrannical God
    that sets people on fire. I have to say, for a tyrant, I haven't seen Him
    appear and force anybody to do anything. He's awfully mild about how He holds
    the reins for a tyrant. I think it's a faith concern.

In Mosaic law, burnt offerings were killed first:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_offering

More generally, I don't like Mosaic law or the kind proposed by Muhammad--I
    don't like making the belief or non-belief view the law of the land or you get
    people hurt or killed over something I don't think people should be hurt or
    killed over.

I think the Christian way, without a land with a militia to defend it, without
    people executed if they convert away from it, without a lot of ethically un-
    necessary rules about food and clothes that just create unnecessary walls of
    alienation between people, with believers sent among the Jews and Gentiles with-
    out giving offense, sacrificing of the self to gain them for God (1 Cor.10:31-
    11:1), is the way to go if you're going to have faith about that. Those people,
    centuries after Jesus, that tried to make Christianity the law of the land had a
    bad system. Muhammad was claimed to be correcting the Bible, too, but I think it was
    a regression to the worst things about Mosaic law--too retro. Unless I should
    see a Divine intervention, I'd go with separation of church and state.

The concept of Hell is debated with literal fire only being the literalist
    approach, so it's a forced point to use that as an accusation about God.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Its too bad that Jesus never wrote anythign himself...I am sure it would have cleared up so much.

Alas, we have what we have, but to me, the Gospel of John speaks to me, far more than any other works, and that Gospel is all ablout Love, compassion, forgiveness and Hope.

• designs
    designs

Well Stephen I would say the majority of Christians do not hold to your Fundamentalist literal interpretations anymore, call it education or being able to reason and recognize simple allegories and what have you. Even the Church of Rome has backed off on the Dante's version.

As I have interviewed Evangelicals and Fundamentalists over the years they seem equally split on those who embrace a Jewish connection to Christianity and those who distance themselves. Funny, here they have God being a Jew in heaven.

You'll get there, its a journey..............out of cultdom.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

designs,

It isn't about embracing our Jewish brothers, its about as christians being under the New Convenant and not the old one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit