And Jesus Will Answer, "I Know You Not!"

by cameo-d 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

PSacramento:

Its not the WORKS we do but the intent behind them.

People that do works of kindeness with ulterior motives ( salvation for example) are not kidding anyone, God knows our hearts and he knows why we do what we do, the good and the bad.

Jesus's speach was aimed at those that did only acts of kidness to their "brothers" as opposed to doing it for all.

Hence the use of "when did we do this to you lord" or "when did we NOT do this to you Lord".

That is exactly right and I agree with every word. The INTENT reveals your heart and your character.

When you do only "for your brother" there is often recriprocation involved or expected. Then, you get into obligation. This is what was pointed out in the "methods" of obligation and religious adherence often imposed through religious hand-outs.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I agree. Faith is paramount but when the Holy Spirit comes the works should flow quite naturally.

James 2:14-26 (New International Version)

Faith and Deeds
    14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
    Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. 24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Without faith the works are dead and without the works, the faith is shown to be dead also.

Blessings,

Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Chalam,

Some see James as a "rebuke" of the Pauline doctrine of "faith by salvation and not be works", and this, as you point out, is not correct.

James was expanding on Paul's view, adding to it that, if one truly has faith, works will flow quite easily from that faith and that NO LAW is needed to impose those works as was done under the Old Covenant.

I don't know or any person who has faith that does NOT do good deeds in one form or another, I appreciate (perkas even more) those that don't believe and do similar acts of Good out of the sheer goodness ion theri hearts.

I do know of many, JW's and others alike, that do "good works" so they will be saved, or because "God demands it" or because the "bibel tells them so", these acts are hollow and done with ulterior motives and that is what Paul made that statement that:

Salvation is based on Faith and NO AMOUNT of works will add to one's salvation and no amount of boasting will make a difference.

God and Jesus KNOW why we do what we do, whether by belief or lack thereof, whether by love or by want of recompense.

They know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit