Annual Pioneer "

by Open mind 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yknot
    yknot

I stand corrected....... we have had a similar event....

Most of the pioneers were of the 'older generation' when I was younger.....they did have some get-togethers but no one under 55 was invited I remember hearing one sister going over with my mom the menu and when I asked what type of party she responded one that those with children aren't invited~!.... allegedly they all drank more than normal.... one time a brother fell down some stairs and fractured his hip.

We do have a rotating host pot-luck luncheon among the pioneers too every 3-4 months on a Saturday afternoon to discuss pioneer things......The Elders involved and pioneers get to count it as 'time'.

The next one is planned for Jan 2......the host is providing BBQ and hoppin' john (with coin!).......of course it isn't associated pagan 'luck' since it is served AFTER Jan 1......so she says......... I laughed and suggested she do a king cake after mardi gras!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I was a regular pioneer during most of my time as a jw during the 80's, and I never heard of such a thing in either of the congregations that I attended.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Maybe it's mainly a US West Coast phenomenon.

One note about the drinking. Some years, it was decided to be a "dry" dinner but most of the time, alcohol was at least available. Invariably, one or two pioneers who weren't accustomed to drinking would have "one too many" (which could be just one drink in some cases) and their already loose lips would get even looser. Hilarity, embarrassment and/or heated arguments can and did ensue. One older pioneer sister needed an elbow to hang onto walking out to her ride home. Since she only had two drinks, no JC was formed. Thank goodness. I think.

om

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

Yes, we had them. One of our pioneers whose husband got killed due to negligence on the job and got a huge payout because of it always had them at her house. We were quite the "working class" congregation, but those were very lavish dinners. We had around 20 pioneers each of the years I pioneered, and if you were married, you could bring your spouse, but if you were unmarried (like me) you only got a solo invite. There were 3 elders also invited, which I think composed the service committe at the time???? Ours had a dress code and everything was served on fancy china plates and crystal glasses. No booze allowed, though. If that wasn't a clique thing, I don't know what was. I was aware of it at the time, but it was nice actually being in the in group for the first time ever, and it didn't really bother me that others were left out. Everyone talked about them for weeks and months afterwards, even if they weren't there.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Absolutely! In my approximately 10 years as an elder, I conducted or helped conduct the Annual Pioneer meeting probably 7 out of 10 times. The outline was very similar in format (obviously different subject matter) to what the CO reviews with the elders & ms during his visit.

One congregation we had only a couple of pioneers and we (the 2 elders conducting) would take them out after the meeting. We usually scheduled the meeting so that it was on a Sat evening and then go straight to dinner. Sometimes, other elders would come with us, sometimes the wives (if there were sister pioneers). Other times, it was just lunch. Sometimes the rest of the BOE would kick in some funds but if not we would do it on our own.

I know of one congregation that got in trouble because one of the elders hosted a big dinner in honor of his congregation's pioneers. He was counseled by the CO for drawing too much attention to these individuals. He probably did go overboard but I think it was sincere.

I always argued that since the meeting was supposed to encourage the pioneers to continue on, that there was nothing wrong with buying them a meal and giving them a little attention. I thought it was common (at least in the US) so I'm surprised more folks didn't experience it.

It seems to me that the amount of socialization among JWs is much less than when I was a kid. I notice very few congregation picinics and the like.

• blondie
    blondie

jamie, the elders met with the pioneers and discussed a form letter sent by the WTS to each regular pioneer. I'm not sure when it started but it had been going for several years by the time 2001 came around and I "qualified" to be invited to this party. The party is not part of the WTS official arrangements but is arranged by the elders (and their wives at times).

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have never heard of it around where I used to go--and I was often out when the pio-sneers were out. Maybe they were either cheapskates, they thought the directives from the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger against gatherings applied to these events, or they themselves had a local ban on them.

Of course, if they were ever to make the big mistake of having it at my place, I would give them a reason to ban it--regardless of when, I would make a Christmas dinner out of it. Complete with Christmas music.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Thanks for the info, Blondie.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Never. I never go anything no dinners, coffee, nothing especially gas money. All I got was dumped on by the publishers thinking hey your a pioneer you can handle this. All the other pioneer sisters had husband who worked and supported them. I had to work to help my husband so he could be the only elder. We lived on nothing and had nothing. Oh the good times.

• penny2
    penny2

Never heard of it happening in Australia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit