JW Discussion Board Lifts Another Story from Another Religion

by blondie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

http://ohr.edu/yhiy/article.php/3956/html/rss/

Several years ago a rabbi from out-of-state accepted a call to a community in Houston, Texas. Some weeks after he arrived he had an occasion to ride the bus from his home to the downtown area. When he sat down he discovered that the driver had accidentally given him a quarter too much change. As he considered what to do he thought to himself, "You'd better give the quarter back. It would be wrong to keep it."

Then he thought, "Oh, forget it, it's only a quarter. Who would worry about this little amount? Anyway, the bus company charges too much fare; they will never miss it. Accept it as 'a gift from G-d' and keep quiet."

When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, and then he handed the quarter to the driver and said, "Here, you gave me too much change."

The driver, with a smile, replied, "Aren't you the new rabbi in town?"

"Yes," he replied.

"Well, I have been thinking a lot lately about going somewhere to worship. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. I'll see you in Shul on Shabbos."

When the rabbi stepped off the bus, he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, held on, and said, "Oh, Ribbono shel Olam (Creator of the world), I almost sold a Jew for a quarter!"

Let's Watch How We Walk (JW)
    A Witness moved to Houston , Texas .
    Some weeks after he arrived, he had
    Occasion to ride the bus from his home to the
    Downtown area.

When he sat down, he discovered that the driver
    Had accidentally given him a quarter too much.

As he considered what to do, he thought to
    Himself, 'You better give the quarter back; It
    Would be wrong to keep it.'
    Then he thought, 'Oh,
    Forget it, it's only a quarter; Why worry
    About this little amount?
    The bus company
    Already gets too much fare; they will never miss
    It; accept it as a gift from Jehovah and keep
    Quiet.'

When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the
    Door;
    Then he handed the quarter to the driver
    And said,
    'Here Sir; you gave me too much change. . . '

The driver with a smile, replied, 'I see you have
    Those magazines that the witnesses carry; Are you
    One of Jehovah's Witness? I have been thinking lately
    About going to worship somewhere; I just wanted
    To see what you would do if I gave you too much
    Change!'

When the Witness stepped off the bus, he
    Literally grabbed the nearest light pole, and
    Held on, and said,
    'Oh Jehovah, I almost sold your
    Name for a quarter! '

MORAL:
    Our lives are the only Bible some people will
    Ever read;

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Yeah right because when you are looking for a place to worship the ONE thing you want to make sure of is that the members will not steal a quarter from you!! Now THAT is the mark of the true religion.

Since I am not that petty to count small change, I would have kept the quarter and have been blood guilty for the rest of my life for not converting the bus driver, is that it? How stupid.

These stories are told all over the world in every faith. They are obviously to remind us that someone (GOD) is always watching us at all times so we better walk the line and be perfect in all our ways. These stories are a man made invention! Peace, Lilly

• carpediem
    carpediem

Im not surprised. I heard the story some time back about a witness going to the door of a murderer who later the same day murdered someone. When later asked by police why he hadnt harmed the witness he said it was because of the two muscular looking men with her. Not long after hearing this story I was out in service and a muslim lady told me the same story about her religion. She even said it had been all over the newspapers.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Will we be hearing this at a local Kingdom Hall soon?

Carpediem - I heard that one as a young dub... the big blokes (angels) either side of the sister out on ministry.

• Mary
    Mary

Excellent find Blondie. In addition to all their fake prophecies, apparently a good number of all their "experiences" are little more than plagerism.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

'Oh Jehovah, I almost sold your

Name for a quarter! '

The name is a Translation mistake..

Made by a 14th century Catholic Monk..

It`s not worth 25 cents..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Yeah right because when you are looking for a place to worship the ONE thing you want to make sure of is that the members will not steal a quarter from you!! Now THAT is the mark of the true religion.

My thought exactly. This story is ludicrous no matter what religion is telling it. Giving a quarter back isn't a sign of a person being honest. It's too insignificant to matter. Let the driver slip him $100 by mistake and see what happens.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Once you start lying, you have to keep lying to keep up appearances.

Other then "The end is so close!", I think the next favorite phrase of the GB for WT articles is "Some of the names in this article have been changed."

• dissed
    dissed

My thought is how could someone so blatantly lie to reinsert the JW stuff, with the moral lesson being JG sees everything you do, AND someone else might see, so you MUST BE CAREFUL in the little things.

But the plageristic reteller of this story didn't even apply the lesson they were trying to teach. Do you think JG doesn't know you were lying about this story? Falsely claiming it was a real JW story?

And others, 'us' know you were lying. So is that a good witness to convince others to attend their church to worship. I think not.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I agree that the characteristics are too close to be a co incidence....

The Jewish version went up in June this year and was said to have happened some time ago..Do we have a more detailed reference for the J W version of it?

Can we we sure who stole it from who?

NB in reality urban myths like this have an uncertain origin, but it would be nice to have a date for the wt printing of it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit