Why does the media leave JW alone?

by Aussie Oz 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Largly, i found over the years, the media seldom runs stories on JWs. sure there is the odd sensation in a paper about a child not having blood or something or some brief mention.

Why has the media not got hold of the child abuse situation? With the mainstream church's in Australia and globally, they had a field day. I would go so far as to say that the media was responsible for them having to publicly appologize and pay out millions in compensation.

Not only this aweful situation, but also all the other lies, property holdings, tax dodging, double standards, stock trading, share holding,......

There is so much dirt under the rug that surely somebody has to trip over it soon. the place is scandleous.

Why no investgative journalism?

Have they covered their tracks so well, piled the crap so high that it's too hard? Granted, not every thing said against them will likely be true but i would have thought much would now be public knowledge.

just wondering

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

There has been coverage. There has been a TV exposay in Oz as well. The reason they are not in the news every day is because they are just a minor cult. Don't let the fact that you were a member for a while fool you into thinking they are important to everyone else.

Cheers

Chris

• Newborn
    Newborn

Jehovahs blessing

(guess not)

• acolytes
    acolytes

I think the media is not aware of them.

The Church of scientology gets as lot of attention. But their profile is higher. They regularly promote themselfs on this board-

Maybe if Tom Cruice converts?

Acolytes

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The Oz one I was thinking of was Channel Nine's Sunday program, Silent Witness.

Did you see it?

Transcript sunday 05-05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vnjrYq422k

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

An absorbing video.

Thankyou Black Sheep.

• sir82
    sir82

JWs comprise less than 1/10 of 1% of the world's population.

There are dozens of similarly-sized cults and/or cult like organizations, if you prefer.

Nobody cares about the weird doctrines and flip-flops of fringe religions, unless they do extraordinarily weird or tragic things (mass suicides, standing on a bridge waiting for the rapture) or have numerous celebrity members (Scientologists).

JWs don't have enough celebrity members, and compared to other groups, are not weird enough to be interesting to the 99.9% of the world that is not JW or ex-JW.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Because nobody outside of the JWs and people on this forum give a rat's ass.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

same reason Australia is never in the news. its far away and no one notices.

ask Bill Bryson lol.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Media news is a high dollar business conglomerate. Their business is not news, it's ratings and whatever drives up the price of their stock so that investers can have a higher return. They seek out the sensational and play to their base. News about JWs does not generate revenue for them either in stocks nor in advertising revenue. Hence the news conglomerates do not care.

Most people in the world don't care either, after all, they figure that JWs are a bunch of wacko's, and as such there is a certain amount of, "well thats what you get when you join a cult" mentality.

Ada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit