Memphis, TN

by asilentone 11 Replies latest jw friends

• under the radar
    under the radar

Good morning, everyone!

I moved to Memphis from GA in 1973. Have lived there ever since, but nowadays spend a LOT of time with the love of my life up north in New England. My work is based in Memphis and I still have a couple of houses (one for sale), a wonderful adult son, and an ex down there.

There are definitely areas of Memphis to avoid like the plague. But there are very nice areas, too. Try looking in Bartlett, Cordova, or Germantown. All abut Memphis and are very close to all the major shopping and business centers.

In my opinion, for tax purposes, try to get a place that is NOT within the Memphis city limits or likely to annexed any time soon. The city of Memphis is always trying to expand its tax base by absorbing unincorporated areas. What really happens is the most productive citizens move out as soon as possible and the lower class and criminal elements move in. Read any edition of the Memphis newspaper Commercial Appeal and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Memphis has plenty of fun things to do and good places to eat. Visit Graceland. You absolutely MUST experience the dry rub ribs at the Rendezvous (it's been in several movies). While you're downtown, check out Beale Street. It's amazing. Brad's is a very good, inexpensive barbecue place in Bartlett. Abbey's is a little restaurant across from Wolfchase Mall (out east) that features delicious southern home cooking.

I was more or less "active" till about 2000. Just stopped going or participating in anything "cold turkey." Went to all the meetings at the Memphis Assembly Hall and the Mid South Coliseum from the early 70's through the 90's. Knew lots of people in the northern Mississippi and west Tennessee congregations. My sudden "fade" went great. No one has bothered me or even tried to "follow up." Wouldn't do them any good, of course. I will NEVER go back to that Orwellian world.

If you're really thinking of moving there or just have any questions, PM me and I'll do my best to at least point you in the right direction. Good luck!

• DJK
    DJK

Honeymooned in Tenn., Nashville to Memphis. I'll stick to New England. The only thing hiding behind a tree here may be a bear. They don't carry guns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit