Memphis, TN

by asilentone 11 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
    asilentone

I have been to Memphis, TN for breakfast on the way to Tulsa, OK from Georgia more than few years ago, someone would like for me to move to Memphis, but I did not find Memphis very appealing at all. Is there anything good about Memphis? I might reconsider, but for now, I am not so sure.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

it is a top crime city

• Robdar
    Robdar

I don't like Memphis and avoid it completely when I go home to visit my folks. I have known of bad things to happen in Memphis. In my opinion, the best thing about Memphis is St Jude Children's Hospital.

• avishai
    avishai

Blues, BBQ.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I hate Memphis.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have been going to Memphis on and off for 30 years.

For pleasure, there is heaps to do, Beale St.~the Zoo~Mud Island~the Pyramid has lots of stuff going on.......tons of music in Memphis. Across the Mississipi River in West Memphis they have Southland Greyhound Park if you like dog racing. The Pink Palace is a cool place and just tons of little bars to go to. Every year they have a blues festival called Memphis in May which is pretty awesome.

For living, I know Germantown was a nice area to live and I believe around the airport, and then up in Cordova, a bit out of Memphis.

When I worked in furniture, I remember discussion about Memphis when I was at International Furniture Market and the problems they were having keeping stores open. It was odd to me as I had been sent to Memphis to look at some of their stores and see their operations. I found out later when working at a furniture store in Little Rock, as we had customers come from Memphis to shop. Well, the stores were closed from so much stealing from within. Flemings was the main guy in furniture.

I was assigned to Memphis for my District and Circuit Assemblies. They had been trying to sell the Assembly Hall for years as it was in such a bad neighborhood, as far as I know all deals keep falling through. The DC was moved to Little Rock and then to Pine Bluff away from Memphis, I don't know why. The arena sucked thats for sure. To keep from going to Memphis I started checking out other places to go and quit going.

I do love to go to Memphis for a weekend away, but don't want to live there.

purps

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Nashville, TN is a considerably more attractive destination.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Purps, I wonder if we ever passed each other at a Memphis assembly?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Started going in about 85, I guess, as a Witness.

Had a part at an assembly in late 80's, can't remember the year, could have been 1990`91, those years are a blur.

Did not go for ten years and then started again in 2000.

I know they have recently built a new KH in Memphis, someone posted it here at this board.

I don't think there is much witness activity in Memphis these days.

purps

And yeah Nashville is nice and I almost moved to Knoxville for a job, but went to Texas instead. I think East TN is beautiful.

and all of TN has lots of Cracker Barrels, lol, love their breakfast.

Also, you are not far from Tunica, MS when living in Memphis.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Started going in about 85, I guess, as a Witness.

Well, I guess we never met. I was out by '85.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit