The homeless sister and the $60,000 RV

by HappyGuy 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Great story... thanks for sharing!

• moshe
    moshe
    -Those who do not wish to give, those with no charity in their heart make the best JWs.

I remember a sister who was new to the KH and when her unbelieving husband discovered ( after many shepherding calls ) that he could stop buying gifts for Xmas, birthdays, etc., if he also became a JW, well, that cinched it for him. He was a real tightwad, even when it came to donations to the KH-( I was an elder back then) and his wife was the one who came up with the money. Yes, I do believe that JW's are less charitable than average.

• designs
    designs

Kindness delayed is opportunity missed.

• chickpea
    chickpea

way to be a mensch!!!

way to heap the coals!!!

way to be a decent human being!!!

welcome to the boards!!

• logic
    logic

quandry, the scripture is James 1:27. I have read it many times to jws just to see the dumb *** look on their

on their face when they start their meetings, service crap. It is a conversation ender.

This has always been a sore point with me. In my experience the jws are the most non charitable

people I know in general. Those that don't have don't get and those that do have do get.

So much for a spiritual paradise.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I wanted to respond to some of the questions that people asked about this.

The vote to give the money to the circuit/district overseer was all in favor except for me. I voted no. This was even after I pointed out how wrong this was.

The congregation was in a rural area in the united states.

I left the quick build program shortly after this episode.

I don't know how to say this exactly but for a long time I was fed up with the bureaucracy and the power hierarchy. I tried to talk to several friends about this and they always repeated the mantra about god needing an "organization". I'm not a Christian any more, so I am not one to say what "christian like" should be but I always felt like a rigid bureaucracy / power hierarchy was definitely NOT christian like.

If Wavy Gravy can feed 400,000 drugged out Woodstock denizens for four days and provide security and medical treatment with his group of wacked out flower power hippies in a spirit of love and understanding, surely god could get things done without needing an organization based on a power hierarchy and rigid bureaucracy.

Long live Wavy Gravy.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I saw this type of behavior 1st hand. In a cong I attended, the landscaping work was donated by several brothers. They kept it up for free. All from the Spanish cong. Well an elder in the priviledged cong decided on removing the grass and putting in this other artificial surface. It was expensive and unnecessary, but the elder who made the suggestion happened to install such surfaces.

Well when the proposal is read at the individual congs, the story is the same. "All the other congs have approved this so let's operate in a spirit of cooperation." In other words tow the line rone. Well ya can't fool them all of the tie. Mostly sisters spoke up ad asked what the aternatives are. Well after sveral questions back and forth the brother ended the discussion and repeated his earlier comment on cooperation and asked for a hand count. It was voted down. They tried for several weeks but didn't it go anywhere.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Wha Happened said:

Well an elder in the priviledged cong decided on removing the grass and putting in this other artificial surface. It was expensive and unnecessary, but the elder who made the suggestion happened to install such surfaces.

And I don't suppose this "brother" would have DONATED the materials and installation???!!! What a surprise! Thought not.

Wow... I'm so glad the congregation voted that one down. Good for them!

• dissed
    dissed

Happy guy, glad you are aboard.

If I ever have to go to trial, I want you to represent me.

Someone speaking up for the poor in the JW's org??? Sadly, that's the exception to the norm.

I wonder how many CO's and DO's have nice HD flat screen TV's? Donated of course.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea this brother is pretty much a weasal. I had him come by and ck on my sprinklers for an estimate. He brought his crew and wanted to start right away. I felt pitty then and had him do the work. Nowadays I would have never called him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit