Why do they just clutch at straws?

by creativhoney 22 Replies latest jw friends

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

My ex Husband has been spending a lot of time in my company, and I always use the opportunity to throw another quandary his way. - when I start, he usually puts his hands to his face and says ohhhh not this again. - I say why are you so afraid, Im only asking you a question or offering a fact.

when he does listen to an argument I offer, most of the responses are just clutching at straws. for example - he will find the most minor thing to back up his argument.yesterday, he said they were the true religion, because they went from house to house following Jesus. - I said that the bible didnt actually say Jesus went from house to house, but he said well we know he did because the apostles did and they followed in his footsteps. - I said yes but the bible says Jesus preached in public areas, - people came to him, from all over. - he probably didnt have time to go knocking on doors. he said 'well the bible says that its a mark of the true religion to preach from house to house, so jesus MUST have done it..

anyone see the circular argument here? true religion preaches from house to house - jesus didnt - jesus must have - true religion would claim to follow jesus - jesus would have preached from house to house because - true religion preaches from house to house.. and round we go.

he also said last night that it is fortunate that women dont get stoned for fornication (lol aside, these days they get stoned and commit it ) - because they said that to me in my judicial, and I asked if he agreed, - he said well its gods law, yes but do you agree? I could see how torn he was - when presented with the argument like that, he knew damn well it was an outrage, but he didnt want to argue against his 'belief' of be seen to be wrong - he has a major issue with admitting he is wrong on the tiniest level - a major factor in our break up.

then I asked about smoking. I said it was a relief to not think that if i got drunk and smoked a cig, that I would face three elders and the possibility of banishment and exile. - I said that I acknowledged smoking was bad, and I didnt smoke and as a rule it made sense - but disfellowship? - I said what is the difference between smoking a cig twice a year on a night out and going to mcDs twice a week, in terms of defilement to the flesh? - he said well smoking is wrong. - that was it - smoking is wrong. - no better logic than that. ?

its kind of a multi tiered desperate argument

1. try to prove from the bible

2. cant prove so find anything ambiguous that could support your claim

3. cant prove it so assume that secular facts must be wrong.

4. assume the proposer of the argument must simply be spiritually sick or blinded by satan.

5. witness wins and is satisfied in own mind.

any more thoughts or examples please?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

JWs are strangers to logic - or they wouldn't be JWs. They repeat the same crap that has been bombarded into their collective mind over the years...the examples you give, I (and no doubt everyone else) have already heard. I was once told by a JW that tobacco is mentioned in the Bible as WORMWOOD (yep, I think some do make up stuff to try and justify the bOrg's teachings)

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

His responses sound just like every witness.....it all reverts back to 'because that's how it is' type thing. No thinking involved, just say what has been rammed down ones throat for as long as you've been a witness

So the elders actually said that to you at your JC? That it's a good thing women these days aren't stoned for fornication? Gosh, think I would've walked out right then and there. How did you handle it? What did you say?

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

Wantstoleave, I sat at that Judicial just waiting for them to finish. they asked me how I felt. all i said was I feel nothing. - are you repentant. - Im sorry for hurting people, but I dont feel sorry about my relationship with God. - I said how can I? I dont have one?

that pretty much did the trick. I was free. It was as much as I had hoped for. it was a hard year and i spiralled into depression, but fought and fought it, eventually the curve hit the bottom and came back up again. now every day gets better instead of worse, and now I do have a hope for the future. - a nice life.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

(((hugs))) .......JC suck!

• moshe
    moshe

C-h,

well a J-C is just a waste of time. I never went to mine and I basically told my JW wife the elders are like strangers as far as having any power to compel me to go to a J-C meeting. every so often I call that KH up and remind them that they didn't ruin my life and how screwed up their religion is- maybe today, I'll do it again.

You can't reason with a blinded JW spouse , why even a marriage counselor told my wife that she was basically Fk'd up in her reasoning- that didn't go over to well with her! Someday your ex-husband may leave the KH and , like my ex did. And it had nothing to do with doctrines, 1914, etc. it was over the elders telling my ex-wife that she shouldn't be dating worldly men. You know they were probably upset that after she used them for all kinds of help after the divorce, she then throws it back in their face by going out to C&W bars with worldly gals from work and just having some Saturday night fun.

• garyneal
    garyneal

C-H

he also said last night that it is fortunate that women dont get stoned for fornication (lol aside, these days they get stoned and commit it ) - because they said that to me in my judicial, and I asked if he agreed, - he said well its gods law, yes but do you agree? I could see how torn he was - when presented with the argument like that, he knew damn well it was an outrage, but he didnt want to argue against his 'belief' of be seen to be wrong - he has a major issue with admitting he is wrong on the tiniest level

Then he obviously does not know his Bible. Stoning women for fornication and children for disobedience is part of the old law which Christ fulfilled. Furthermore, when the OT jews brought an adulterous in front of Jesus as they were about to stone her, He did not condemn her. "He who is without sin, let him now cast the first stone." The jews did not condemn her, neither did Christ, neither should we.

About smoking, the elder at my wife's KH admitted that there is nothing in the Bible that condemns it. However, he said it was based on love, love of yourself and love of your brothers and family. Smoking is damaging to health, both to the smoker and those around it. I think it is a disgusting habit myself but I would not condemn others to disfellowshipping if they smoked. Keep it outside or away from non-smokers if you must do it.

I drink sodas and I know they are not healthy either, so how can I judge?

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

There was a time when my ex was asking me questions... My answers made sense to her... She was troubled and consulted the elders ... there response was that I was very cunning with my logic... That was it... She no longer asked me questions because I was cunning. How can you break through that mindset?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Because, it's all a huge scam that has been built up over many decades. It's a scam built on parts of other scams. The original scam, christianity, has taken in a good portion of the human population. The original scammer were jews. They however, have mostly seen it for what it is, and have moved on to other scams.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Not that i'm saying that jews, generally are scammers. They are,, many times, victims of scams, themselves, like the rest of us.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit