The REAL reason subscriptions have stopped!

by LDH 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Hi Guys!

I have had my own theorys on this matter. A friend and I were discussing this and were wondering if is not a way to try and get more people into the Kingdom Hall. If people are forced to go to get their mags, then they will have to be there. Improves their numbers too. I am sure that money is a factor in this as well. But, with the internet now and all the info available, they want those mags in the hands of sincere people only. They don't feel the mags are for recreational reading. Just a thought, I could be way off, but who knows!!

Thanks!

Vita

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

nooooooo farkel - it's not just saving 25cents - it's 25cents x a zillion ...

if you subscribe, then you may never see a dub ever again ... if you have no choice but to accept a hand delivery (ooh err), then there's a scary chance every 2 weeks (and the occasional 3 weeks) that you'll have to face a dub at the door ... "i was wondering what you thought about that article i pointed out last time ... you know, about destroying your complete cd collection because it's satanic" ... gnash ... gnash ...

• JonnieMae
    JonnieMae

All I know is, I haven't placed a mag in years. The society doesn't give us the mags. WE have to pay for them and then go out and *place* them, hopefully getting some change to *help* in the publishing process. Well I won't do that. I refuse to pay for magazines, Bibles and such and then go out and give them away. Plus pay $1.50+ a gallon for gas to drive around for hours for not at homes.

Does anyone else see the irony here?

To each his/her own,
    jonnie

• Farkel
    Farkel

Lisa,

: I'm just wondering if you've heard any other lame brained excuses

Just the standard mantra: "This new simplification arrangement is a blessing from Jehovah." (Apparently Jehovah is running low on cash, too.)

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Anthrax? Interesting. So, the good little dubbies are now suspected of being domestic terrorists who would coat "God's monthly newsletter" with deadly spores? And this suspicion comes from the FDS? Yeah, right.....if so, then they are certainly paranoid little buggers, now, aren't they?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

deleted due to triple-posting bug.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Deleted due to triple-posting bug.

• Masterji
    Masterji

Subscriptions reveal the names and locations of millions of individuals and their families.

M

• Kismet
    Kismet

Historically, Canada has always been the testing grounds for American corporations, including the Watch Tower Society.

Back in the early 90’s the Canadian post office, in an effort to promote Canadian Journals decided to discontinue their second-class bulk rates to non-Canadian magazines. Since all mags originate in New York, with the only modifications done in Canada is to Canadianize the English and to convert to metric, the WT and Awake were deemed to be American magazines.

This would have meant that all subscriptions would cost approx. $0.30 per mag just for postage as opposed to the 0.06 they were paying previously. (approx 120,000 subs per issue, therefore 120,000 x $0.24 = $28,800 per issue) So it was decided to deliver in bulk, pre-addressed subscriptions to the Kingdom Halls or central literature depots for publishers to deliver.

The rationale? It was a cost savings initiative. Also the following reasons were given and highlighted. Each delivery would count as a return visit, thus increasing the number of return visits reported. It also meant more conversations. Often people who subscribed were forgotten except at time of renewal. It was hoped it would increase the number of Bible Studies.

Thank the deities (of your choice if any) that result did not happen. People still weren’t home, so a RV could not be counted nor did more studies start.

Anyway that was the official lone used by the Canadian Branch. Count on similar down there in the States

Kismet - who, unlike some Mensa people, doesn't feel the need to submit my post three times Season Greetings Red!!!!

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

The WTS is doing what any other corporation in financial trouble would do...cut costs, scale back, trim the fat.

The fact that people will now have to personally go to the KH to pick up their magazines is a bonus.

By the way, I heard (straight from the mouth of a bethelite) that it was announced at morning breakfast that the reason for discontinuing the subs is because since Sept. 11th, donations have been down. Several from the Canadian branch have been asked to go back into the field.

The UN issue was also discussed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit