More Cultural Differences - Strictness Levels & Demographic

by creativhoney 11 Replies latest jw friends

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

@ynot - omg - if they banned roller rinks, why have a picture of it in the YPA book. - all get togethers banned? - jeez there was always a gathering here. I cant believe that. no wonder people find it harder to leave and sometimes I wonder why people get so angry at the cult thing, - it makes a lot more sense.

it does seem we are more relaxed in England and I do think it is the puritannical thing that you mentioned.

witnesses here - young ones go to pub after meeting,

football on sundays and wed nights - elders try to frown but no one cares

lots of drinking and nightclubs, - always rumours no one busts them.

older ones - dinner parties, get togethers, holidays, walks camping trips, visits to places. - my mum was always having 'group' parties and getting the booze out after tuesday book study at our house.

but never post photos or discuss it - people might get the wrong idea. -

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It varies according to the lead hounder and the hounder-hounder. You get a hounder-hounder that hates gatherings, all gatherings in that circuit are banned. You get a lead hounder that thinks the congregation is stagnant because some inactive person has a Led Zeppelin CD, they are going through all music collections in that congregation. You get someone that thinks everyone needs a particular type of suit or accessory, everyone in that area is going to be required to dress accordingly. All the while, a nearby circuit or congregation may be less strict about this.

As for closeness to New York City, you have the "district manager" effect. Store managers are known to be stricter if they know the district manager and higher ups are going to be visiting than they otherwise would be. If you are a lead hounder or hounder-hounder in New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, or eastern Pennsylvania, there is a higher chance of getting big company than there is if you are out in California or Washington State. And, with the possibility of big company coming at any time, you cannot afford to allow fun. Those living farther away know it is extremely improbable that anyone higher than the hounder-hounder-hounder is coming, so they can relax a bit more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit