Something Sweet For Veterans Day

by SixofNine 20 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Which, btw, used to be called Armistace day to remind us that war sucks.

Anyway, these videos of dogs welcoming their soldiers back are sweet; be sure to look at the last vid, btw.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/40324

• beksbks
    beksbks

Six you're a gem

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Going into battle armed with a trumpet"

It was two weeks after D-Day, a few miles from the bloody shores of Omaha Beach. An airstrip had been carved out of the Normandy countryside, costing the lives of 28 Army engineers at the hands of German snipers. A lone sniper still remained in the nighttime distance. Despite the risk, Capt. Jack Tueller felt compelled to play his trumpet.

<snip>

"I was told, 'Captain, don't play tonight; your trumpet makes the most glorious sound,' but I was stressed," he said. He was so troubled that he was willing to take a chance the sniper wouldn't fire."I thought to myself, that German sniper is as lonely and scared as I am. How can I stop him from firing? So I played that German's love song, 'Lilly Marlene,' made famous in the late '30s by Marlene Dietrich, the famous German actress. And I wailed that trumpet over those apple orchards of Normandy, and he didn't fire."

<snip>

The next morning, the military police came up to Tueller and told him they had a German prisoner on the beach who kept asking, "Who played that trumpet last night?""I grabbed my trumpet and went down to the beach. There was a 19-year-old German, scared and lonesome. He was dressed like a French peasant to cloak his role as a sniper. And, crying, he said, 'I couldn't fire because I thought of my fiancé. I thought of my mother and father,' and he says, 'My role is finished.'
    "He stuck out his hand, and I shook the hand of the enemy," Tueller said. " he was no enemy, because music had soothed the savage beast."

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/11/05/vif2.pilot.trumpet...

Here's the beautiful song "Lilly Marlene" as sung by Marlene Dietrich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0lUXnAs-U
    .............................................................................

• beksbks
    beksbks

I see, so your goal is to give me a crying headache?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

yes, for calling me a germ. (that's how I read that at first glance, lol)

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Grab a tissue before watching the last video.

Dogs are so great!

Thanks for posting.

purps

• beksbks
    beksbks
    yes, for calling me a germ. (that's how I read that at first glance, lol)

Still denying your an old man who needs reading glasses?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Oh man you should have warned me to get the kleenex box before I watched these !

Very touching .....makes me wonder how long a dog remembers his master ?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

For the Memorial Service at Fort Hood,

did anyone watch?

The bugle trumpet player really got to me.

He played and you could feel the emotion, I wondered how he made it through it........business as usual?

and afterwards

The deep gulp and his adams apple taking that up and down leap.

The most touching moment of the service for me.

purps

• beksbks
    beksbks

Purps I went to a military funeral earlier in the year, taps was too much for me.

As for the Fort Hood service, I watched as much as I could take. Too much emotion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit