Slow cooker recipes needed

by asilentone 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

great minds

Earlier today as I was finishing off something I made in my slow cooker I was thinking I should offer this recipe up - and here you are

This recope was supposed to use pork chops but while the price of chicken has been so high the price of pork dropped so I bought some pork tenderloins. It was fabulous. Almost a pork version of Beef Stroganoff

Mushroom Sauce Pork Chops

• 4 pork loin chops cut 3/4 in thick
    • 1 tbsp cooking oil
    • 1 small onion sliced thin
    • 2 tbsp quick cooking tapioca ground to a powder (I never would have thought of this)
    • 1 10 3/4 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (I increased this to 2 cans)
    • 1/2 c apple juice (I doubled this to match the increase in soup)
    • 1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms (I used 10 whole mushrooms, sliced)
    • 2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce (I didn't have any so I omitted it)
    • 3/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
    • 1/4 tsp garlic powder. (I used dried diced garlic)
    1. Trim the fat from the chops (I sliced my tenderloin into medalions). In a skillet brown the chops on both sides, in hot oil. Drain off the fat.
    2. Place onions, meat in slow cooker.
    3. In a bowl combine the ground tapioca, soup, juice, mushrooms, Worchestershire sauce, thyme and the garlic powder. Pour over the chops.
    4. Cook covered on low-heat setting for 8-9 hours or on high heat setting for 4-4 1/2 hours.

Serve over rice or mashed potatoes. I cooked some egg noodles and served that instead. Personally I think I would prefer the potatoes to the rice but loved the noodles so serve it ith whatever suits you.

• parakeet
    parakeet

palmtree 67: I put this on another thread but it's really easy and good ... Beef with Beer

Your recipe is simmering in my Crock Pot as we speak. I'm letting it cook overnight; then will chill it and reheat for supper. Starting to smell good!

NN, if you Google "slow cooker recipes," you'll be deluged with more than you can handle in your lifetime.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Parakeet:

I'm so glad! Isn't it easy to make?? You'll find that the beef melts in your mouth, and the beer becomes a thick gravy. Sometimes I add a can of mushrooms, too. I prefer it with potatoes or egg noodles.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Palmtree:

A bag of egg noodles is waiting in my pantry. Looking forward to a tasty supper tomorrow.

BTW, it was easy to make, seeing as how my husband made it!

• parakeet
    parakeet

NN, I just remembered a tasty way to slow-cook a pork roast -- Combine 3 tablespoons of crumbled dried sage or thyme leaves (or 2 tablespoons powdered sage), 2 cloves of garlic put through a garlic press, grated rind and juice from one lemon, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Rub this mixture onto a 3-5 pound pork roast and cook at low for about 10 hours. The pork will come out very tender. There will be about a cup and a half of gravy left in the cooker. It will be very liquid (which is how I prefer gravy), but you can thicken it with flour or cornstarch dissolved in water and cooked briefly in a pan on the stovetop. The gravy is not very brown, but it tastes very meaty and aromatic from the herbs.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Mmmmm......writing that one down for later, Parakeet!

• parakeet
    parakeet

One more tip, NN. They have slow-cooker plastic liners (I think Reynolds makes them) that work very well. When your food is done, take it out of the cooker and discard the liner. No need to wash the crock part of the pot.

• xeracia
    xeracia
    Slow cooker Mashed Potatoes
    Ingredients

• 5 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic, or to taste
    • 3 cubes chicken bouillon
    • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
    • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • salt and pepper to taste
    Directions

1. In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic, and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving water. In a bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
    2. Transfer the potato mixture to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste
  • xeracia
    xeracia

Slow Cooker Meatballs

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    • 1 1/4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
    • 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    • 1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree
    Directions

1. In a bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, onion, and egg. Shape the mixture into 16 meatballs.
    2. In a slow cooker, mix the spaghetti sauce, crushed tomatoes, and tomato puree. Place the meatballs into the sauce mixture. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
  • Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Here's a slow cooker recipe I came up with one day. It worked and now my family love it. As I'm in Australia I'm not sure exactly what you call chicken stock over there - from reading the other recipes on this post I think it might be broth.

CHICKEN IN CREAMY WINE SAUCE

3 large carrots peeled and chopped into small chunks
    1 or 2 onions " " "
    3 or 4 potatoes " " "
    1 cup or so of frozen peas
    1 375ml (I think that's about 12 fl oz in the USA) chicken stock (maybe that's what you call broth)
    6 or 8 chicken boneless chicken thighs
    white wine
    herbs of choice
    1/2 - 2/3 cup light cream
    cornflour
    salt and pepper

Put carrots, onions, potatoes, peas and chicken into slow cooker. (No need to chop chicken as it breaks up during cooking). Pour in stock (broth), splash in some wine (qty up to you) then sprinkle with herbs of choice. I usually use mixed herbs. Cook 7 - 8 hours. Sometimes if I'm home while its cooking I might mix it up a couple of times and break up the chicken, but you don't have to - you can do this at the end.

When cooked, mix up cream with some cornflour (3 or 4 teaspoons or more depending on how thick you want it) and add to slow cooker. Mix in well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Allow to heat back up again after adding cream.

Serve with buttered crusty bread or rolls. We usually serve it in a bowl with a spoon.

Hopscotch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit